Chapter 25: The Reason

“I have a good enough reason that I will keep to myself.”

I slouched in the passenger seat as my fingers danced over my eyes. I was taken a back by Marks answer. Not that I was expecting a go ahead but at least some reasoning would have eased such a burn. Kain tried to talk to him and get him to give a reason but our efforts were futile and like a wounded dog, I’m licking my wounds and limping home.

“Sorry man, I have no clue what my father is doing.”

I sighed, a migraine inheriting any space I have in my head for fun or relaxation. I looked at Kain and smiled - purely fake but I needed a distraction.

“Your old man isn’t as predictable as we thought?”

Kain frowned and shook his head.

“No. My dad doesn’t do things like that. There’s something wrong.”

It was weird seeing Kain so worked up about it - although that should have been my reaction. Unfortunately, all I can do was pity myself. My smile faded and I looked out the window. I’m probably taking this harder than I should but I feel a little inferior.

“Just wild beats, communication”

A smile cracked my visage. I looked over to Kain who was fumbling for his phone in the glove compartment between our seats. His ringtone was from an anime I knew too well because of Kayla. It’s strange where a piece of comfort comes from.

“Hey babe.... yeah, I’m sorry ‘bout earlier. Needed some time... Yeah.”

I droned out as he talked to Candice. The world seemed so bare and clear all of a sudden. I can’t tell if I was rejected by Mark or not. Postponed? I do not know. But it was such a surreal event. How do I start dating someone when I’m not liked by the parent in the beginning? Hey, where was her mom?

“What?”

The car veered off road in an attempt to do a one handed U turn. I grabbed onto the door and pushed against it to keep myself in my seat. A few horns were blown and curse words were released from other drivers as Kain sped down the road. I glanced at him before we hit a ditch in the road and I face planted the dashboard. A yelp came out of me as I palmed my face, pain surging through every pore I had. When I drew my hands back, I felt dizzy. My focus turned to Kain who eyed me with widened orbs. His lips were moving but I couldn’t hear a thing. I looked at my hands and saw blood all over them- probably from me. It was me.

I do not know or remember but I should have worn my seat belt. My world went black.

I felt hands roam my body, panicked shouts filling the air in the distance and a sudden grip on my heart. Why is this scene so wrong? I opened my eyes, my vision blurred as lights dimmed and brightened above me. Shapes began to form: two running on either side of me. I was laying down. A slam in to doors made me flinch and close my eyes again but I was unable to lift my arms. Why?

Eden! Eden I’m sorry!” I heard Kain shout from afar.

Has something more been taken from me?

I kept my eyes closed for what I thought would be a blink long, but when I opened them, the situation had changed. I was seated upright, staring at the blank wall of a room. The light was too bright so I had to keep a squint view of things. I wanted to lift my hand to rub my eyes in to focus but again it was dead weight. Something was definitely wrong. I tried to look down but something held my neck firm. A brace?

“Eden? Eden!”

I blinked a bit more and looked to the source of sound. Kain stood beside me, eyes wide in concern and face patched red.

“Oh Ed!” Candice chimed in beside Kain.

I feigned a smile and swallowed with difficulty, an audible gulp of spit coming from me.

“W-what-“

“I hit a pot hole in the road. I forgot you had no seat belt so you kind of got hurt in the process,” Kain explained as if he rehearsed it.

“An accident?” I asked.

“No, I drive carefully. But I made the U turn and floored it. Sorry.”

“The,” I paused to swallow and regain strength in my voice. “M-my arms – I can’t move them.”

“It’s temporary, the doctor said you got a terrible whiplash and a broken nose. Your spine nearly snapped but thank God it never. Your nervous system just got delayed I think,” Candice explained.

“Oh,” I said softly.

Inside I had screamed in panic but my body resisted portraying any inner turmoil. Kain did not seem to be ok after all though I’m the one in the hospital bed.

“Why did we turn?” I asked.

Kain drew away from me. He looked at Candice and shook his head.

“I can’t,” he said walking out of the room.

Candice sighed and ran her finger through her hair. She groaned and bit her lip. I furrowed my brows.

“What?”

Candice looked at me. It was as if she mentally debated on the information she held.

“Um... Eden. I tried to get you in time but I didn’t know Kain never knew so-“

“What?”

“Jordan... Jordan got on to her flight today. She’s not coming back anytime soon and she told us this weeks ago.”

I closed my eyes. ‘I have good enough reason that I will keep to myself.’  Mark knew that she was leaving. Mark knew that It would be harder if I dated her and she left. But that was entirely my situation to deal with! And why didn’t Jordan tell me? Why did she encourage me to chase after her if she was leaving? That’s selfish!

“Eden?”

I opened my eyes. Candice frowned and placed a finger on my forehead.

“It’s hard to take but don’t take it too hard.”

I chuckled. That didn’t make sense but what was funny is how life can out do me by two steps. This was certainly a mockery of me. But maybe... it was best to be. Jordan is gone, I am here. She knows what she’s doing and I guess I do to.

“What are you thinking?”

I smiled at Candice, shocking her slightly because of my condition. With feeble strength, I lifted my right hand slightly and put it on hers that was still in contact with my forehead.

“I’ll wait for her.”

How long I had to wait? I won't know. But I will wait for her. After all, I think I love her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THE END ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again! lol! You can be a little mad at me I won't hold it against you. But I am ending BA here. Well, what do you think? Yes, yes I'm unorthodox in my ending but there will be a BA2 which I will pre-write and post off properly. But i do hope I didn't do too bad for a first book.

Now you may bombard me with any questions, insults, needing of clarification in this book or requested. One shot or anything. I dunno :) -----> Turn the page!