Chapter 3: Delivery day 2

“Candy is given to kids for joy

Candice is candy for bigger kids- or that’s the ploy

a young and sweet trick that will devour evilly,

An appealing sensation that will entice even thee…”

The bar slowed down in serving once the girls got to dancing. Their outfits left little to the imagination, but I guess that’s the point of stripping.  It usually would be frowned upon by most of the society’s elders but there are two reasons that our club remains highly recommended. One: Each girl is highly trained by professionals, offered schooling to further education and isn’t susceptible to doing sexual favours; two: Those old bastards are regular customers as well.  It’s fine with them if they do it as well. Che, stupid kind of perception if you ask me.

“Pretty packed again, huh Eden?”Candice said as she sat on the bar counter.

“Yeah, there are more pervs than usual too,” I commented, tilting my head in the direction of men eyeing her.

Candice just laughed and shrugged. Her attire was the cause of attraction and we both knew it couldn’t be helped. Two stars were glued onto her nipples and a miniskirt with bloomers, were all she could wear for the show. I was used to this so I rarely showed any form of interest in any girl here. At that moment I remembered the letter. It was an opportune time to give it to her since she wasn’t busy entertaining men. Pulling the letter out of my pants pocket, I tapped her with my forefinger and slid it into her hands. Her raised eyebrow questioned my actions and I leaned in for the simple answer.

“A secret admirer. Another kid from my school,” I informed her.

The music switched to a sensual slow tune, the different colours of light flashing through the building as each dancer took turns on the pole. Candice smiled and nodded at me before hopping off the counter. As she left another customer came straight in my view, so I served him his cider swiftly and he went off. I retired to washing the cups as Mark took over the serving for the night.

Exhaling deeply, I started unchaining my bike. The shift was over and it was slinking to the cold side of the weather. 19:30 was my ending time due to being a scholar. It was meant to give me ample time for homework and the like, but I usually did my homework while working. The only subject I’d end up having any work on was English, which took more time than any other homework. Balancing my bike and walking down the alley, I was already tracing my path mentally when a soft voice stopped me. On turning, I caught sight of Candice, who stood with her hands crossed in a faux fur coat. She smiled at me and I reciprocated the action, calmed by her presence.

“Hey Candice,” I started, urging her to continue.

“Hey Eden,” she replied tucking a strand of blond hair behind her ear. “I replied to your friend. I was-

“I’ll give it to him,” I interjected, predicting the next request.

She walked over and gave me the letter with a sigh. I just shoved the darn thing into my pocket and turned to push off without a good bye. But my manners returned when she leaned in and kissed my cheek from behind.

“Good night Eden,” she whispered as if she were tucking me in.

“Night.”

I rode to my house in the silence of the evening and enjoyed it. The moment’s solitude always offered me a peace unlike any other. It didn’t take much to make me feel at ease. But unfortunately, this ride was short because I lived three blocks away from the place. Good things never last long – at least for me.

The rest of the night passed by in a blur; I cooked, did my English homework, played Yu-Gi-Oh with my sisters, etc. I don’t recall falling asleep, but all I know was that I woke up with my sisters in my arms. Yawning my sleep off, I sat up with my first waking thought - the letter. I had placed it in my blazer as it seemed to hold the same value as my homework. That wasn’t really true but I wanted this as painless and stress free as possible.

Releasing my mental exhaustion into the atmosphere with a large sigh, I checked my watch for the umpteenth time. I had two minutes to registration and Kain was nowhere in sight for our meeting. Simply leaving was seemingly my best option to avoid being late, but a sudden shout of my name made my feet stay planted to the spot. It was unusual for someone else to come behind the science labs but the probability was still 50/50. I watched a white haired guy bend over and pant, as I waited for the moment where he would ask me what I was here for. But suddenly, my wait fell to disappointment when Jordan stood up straight. Why was she allowed to wear a guy’s uniform?

“Yes?” I questioned, acting my innocence as if I was just loitering.

“The letter,” she said through barely audible panting. “Give it to me.”

I arched an eyebrow. Was I seen handing the letter over to Candice? It probably was prior to that. Whatever time I was caught, I wasn’t going to confess to it simply. It wasn’t exactly illegal but it breaks my agreement with the headmaster. Folding my arms in defiance, I faked confusion and tilted my head.

“Letter?”

Jordan blinked and tilted her own head, my confusion rubbing off on her. This was a different look from that nonchalant farce she put on yesterday. I think I could dodge this situation. She’d spoken on assumption.

“My brother sent me here to collect his letter. Are you not the guy?”

What?

It threw me off when she said that but I’m sure that she just said her brother. This is too surreal. Kain had sent his sister who also happens to be our newest transfer. Is she… another slave to his collection?

“You’re Kain’s sister?” I asked cautiously, in case I was wrong.

“Yes and if you feel that you have shit with him you can piss off with it. I’m only here to collect a letter,” she spat back, folding her arms and falling to the familiar nonchalance I thought she faked.

They were definitely siblings. The threats were so alike and they seemed to carry the same air of being stuck-up. It immediately pissed me off and the result was just a little immature. Grabbing the letter from my pocket, I tossed it at her non-existent chest and turned around flipping her off.

“Tell Kain not to be so lazy,” I said coolly before walking off to class.

I hope I don’t see more of her. It makes no sense that I already dislike her, but Iam totally not going to tolerate much.  Where does she come off talking to me like that? Ugh!

Fuming my way to my classroom, I took my seat and glared at the teacher as she walked in after me. It’s utter nonsense to have her so near. But I won’t let her irk me and my work. It’s a one-time occurrence.

“Class, school has been cancelled for the following week as we just received news on a mass suicide,” Mr Mackerby announced, abruptly ending my hate tirade. “As you’d have noticed, five of our students are absent, following five from each grade. Those are the children that have committed suicide and we have to suspend our learning week to have psychotherapists speak to every one of you.”

A piercing cry erupted from the back as a few friends argued in disbelief. I sat stupefied by such an announcement. It isn’t the everyday news that you get. A depression fell over the class and we all immediately went to thinking. Not to be heartless but out of shock my first thought was ‘how will I do my studies now?’