Chapter 14: The Crash Of The Crush

• Dedicated to Jerry Hollin

As author, I urge you to read the previous Chapter (13) for the appropriate introduction to this Chapter. It is less than a page so it won't take you that long :P Otherwise, If this goes unheeded, I apologize for the confusion that may befall you :P

XXXX

I turned the corner and stiffened as I saw a silhouette crouching by the door in the shadows of the alley. I pushed aside stray strands of hair in an attempt to get a better view of who might be there. Deciding it to be a safer choice to back out of there, I turned around to walk away, but as I did, my phone vibrated in my pocket. Keeping a wary eye on the shadowy figure, I checked the text.

It may have been a stupid thing to do but I was expecting a text from Candice. She suggested I sneak in the bar to hang out with her because she “wanted to get to know me.” It took me a minute to calm from the surprise of the name that reflected on the screen. How unusual. I stood there trying to think of any reason he would text me. But all that resonated in my mind was what he said to me at school a few days ago.

“I need to see you”

Immediately I spiraled into confusion. It’s unusual to get a text like this from the blue- and when it’s from someone like Eden – I’m not sure what it means. I stared at the phone for a moment while I tried to filter out a reason for this act. Honestly? My heart played double Dutch in my chest when I read the text. It’s surprising that someone wants me let alone ‘needs’ me. I pulled at the V-neck of my rainbow ‘bloody beauty’ shirt as if it choked me. Hesitantly, I replied.

“Where are you?”

I couldn’t think of anything else to say. The text made me confused and curious but I’m sure I’m meant to be mad at him. Heat rushed to my face, my body trying to get used to not being bound or flu – I don’t know. I just kept getting flushes since I left hospital. My fingertips brushed lightly against my left cheek.

“At the bar.”

My head immediately turned to the silhouette. That was the door the workers used and if Eden was at the bar… Could it be him? Taking a breather maybe? With that assumption, I tip toed to the figure, having to confirm first before I land up in a sticky situation. Gradually my eyes adjusted to the dim lighting and I saw the familiar green hair. He was looking at his phone, anticipating my answer probably. It was funny to me yet still confusing. Eden intrigued me endlessly ever since I saw him in class. His reactions aren’t the usual ones that I get confronted with.

“I’m behind you,” I texted quietly as my fingers barely touched the keys.

It took him less than a minute to turn around and lock eyes with me. I was amused by his expression. Has karma finally got him for what he did to me? My lips began to pull as a smile possessed my face, a little stolen joy from my usual daydream. I lowered my phone to get a better view.

“I need to talk to you,” he stated.

The serious tone he put in those words made my smile fade instantly.

“Why-“

“Just listen,” he cut in with the lowering of his head.

I stood rooted to the ground as I waited for him to continue.

“My mother left me when I was eleven years old. My sisters weren’t old enough to know her but she loved them so it wouldn’t make much of a difference. The year she left my dad, she began resenting me. Slowly she would act indifferent towards me and only give her care to the girls. She pretended that I was invisible and often quarreled with my father and screamed things like ‘If only Eden wasn’t born then I’d have no ties to you’ or ‘that parasite is as good as nothing- just like you.’ I grew further from her and closer to my dad who tried to protect me, but how successful do you think he can be when she was the one who gave birth to me?”