Chapter 2: Delivery Day

“Damn the day I bewildered and said nothing

That second opened opportunity for him to say something

Sealed is my fate by the replica of a demon

But alas, I do not wish the consequence, so I’ll do whatever he commands.”

I stood behind the science labs at school, watching Kain walk away and back into the crowded throng of students. He had just given me a letter and instructions to follow:

“Deliver this straight to Candice. Nothing more and nothing less. Every morning we meet here and exchange the communication if there is any. Text me if there isn't any, so I don't waste my time heading over here. Dare you tell anyone about this and I will have your head and toss your remains to the rest of my team got it?”

I embraced a frown at that memory. This should be classified as some abuse, right? But still, I was going to do it. I'd prefer to avoid any future trouble in my life. Plus, I can urge either of them to meet so I can disappear from the equation. It shouldn't take long, I hope.

“Ugh!”I sounded, heading to my class as the bell rang.

This already annoyed me, even though I felt no real strain. I guess all in all I can say that it was okay for a start.

Upon reaching my class in time and managing to slip in before the teacher entered, I promptly found my seat near the window in the front of the forth row. It was near the teacher’s desk, which would bother most, but not me. I needed time to do my work in peace and that spot guaranteed it. The desk next to me remained empty, due to the fact that no other student was courageous enough to take it and that our class was one pupil short after a transferred student. Chucking my bag on the other side of my desk, I pulled my chair back and sat down, pulling it in once I felt comfortable. I stuck a finger in the collar of my shirt and pulled at it a little, loosening the tightness it had formed when I moved. Out of all the boys in my grade, I dressed the neatest. It was always a difference of an un-tucked part of a shirt, a standing collar, a slight drop of the pants, a loosened tie – I always surpassed in image. It might sound cocky, but in all honesty, I kept a clean image for one reason. To deflect the attention my body may cause. The anorexia took its toll as it always does. I wasn’t at the bone protruding stage yet, but I had a very feminine look. I was like a 5’6” slender girl. Furthermore, I was shorter than any boy in the school. But that isn’t an issue for anyone.

“Attention class,” Mr Mackerby shouted over the chattering class. “I’d like to quickly introduce our new student before we head into our registration.”

Of course that announcement caused the class to burst into another murmuring wave of gossip. The only one I paid attention to was Nina, who sat behind me.

“Oh oh, it’s my friend! I can’t believe it took this long for her to transfer here,” she said, grinning in excitement.One glance over my shoulder sufficed to catch a glimpse of her joy. Her green eyes were glistening in the light as she held a twisted lock of her curly black hair around her forefinger. She had been chewing on the end of that strand for quite a while, a dirty habit she held onto when she was nervous.

“Must be a pretty important person,” I commented, hoping to diffuse her edginess.

A nod confirmed my assumption. “We’ve been best friends since we were born!”

I smiled a little and looked to the front of the class where the new boy stood. So this is the ‘best friend’. A quick ‘up and down look’ ,that my whole class always gave when someone new entered the school, followed as if scheduled. He had white short hair that just partially touched his forehead, with bangs that licked his rounded face black lined eyes with brown orbs that seemed uninterested in the rest of us and cream skin that looked barely burnt by the sun. Anything more was hidden by the black and white uniform we all adorned. This guy seemed pretty plain to the rest of us. But a few girls burst in yells of “OH MY GOD HE’S SO CUTE!” or “MARRY ME!” and further phrases of this sort. The rest of the guys all sunk in their seats, depressed at how much praise the newbie got. I – like this new kid – was not interested in them much. The teacher silenced the class and asked the guy to introduce himself. A frown evidently grew on his face as he sighed and folded his arms. A trouble maker in the works?

“I’m Jordan Hibayashi. I’ve transferred from “Prestigious High School” and have recently moved to this city,” A bow was given before the end, “Please treat me kindly.”

The whole class froze in colourless horror. I choked too, staring at the new student. Nina was the only animated student, standing and waving at her friend. This guy was a girl! She looked otherwise! She had no physical evidence, which was naked to the eye that gave up her gender. Her chest was flat, and her frame was that of an undeveloped boy. She stood, smirking at the class reaction. It was as if it were a little game to her. I shook my head and let out a laugh, attracting her gaze as I folded my arms.

“Please, can we stop this rude behaviour and treat our new member with respect. Jordan, please take the seat next to Eden,” the teacher instructed.

Jordan followed the orders and took the once vacant seat next to me. Nina gave her a quick hug and sat in her seat, immediately passing notes to the nonchalant girl. I gave a sideward glance to this girl and wondered why she was allowed to wear the boys’ uniform. Some of the other girls cried in dismay after being misled by the appearance of Jordan. Another strange smile crept onto my face. This girl had made my day. I’ve never laughed out loud in class.

The last bell rang and marked the end of lessons for the day, and the beginning of my courier service. I packed my bag neatly after making sure I had listed down my assignments and taken the necessary aids to expedite the completion of my homework. The majority of the girls crowded my area as they circled Jordan, asking her various things. It annoyed me a little because no one used to flock to my space until Jordan appeared.

“Whatever,” I whispered before flinging my bag onto my shoulder.

My exit was unnoticed. But something creepy caught my eye. Jordan stood in the middle of that crowd and stared at me as I walked out. She seemed so dead. Ugh, a shiver ran down my spine at that thought. It was probably a sudden paranoia on my part. The newbie would eventually blend in with the boring background.

“It’s the chart topper!”

“It’s second best!”

“Eden, which is it?”

I flinched as the twins shouted the question at me. My ten year old sisters always argued about anime or manga. They were beginner otaku’s and never had the same preferences as twins are usually supposed to have. Each held their big headed anime chibi dolls as they pouted at me. I blinked in response, totally clueless of the topic of discussion. These girls could never start a conversation that included me.

“Which is it Eden, Naruto or One Piece?” Layla asked, shoving her Naruto doll on my naked torso.

“It’s One Piece,” Kayla countered, shoving her doll into the other side of me.

“Naruto,” was my blatant answer as I walked away from the dolls, and continued undressing for the change of uniform.

A dance of success and a pout of loss was the result, which I couldn’t bother to level out as I had to get ready for work. I put on my bartending uniform that was similar to my school uniform. The waist coat was the only marking of a difference. Sometimes I could get away with wearing the coat over my school uniform but I usually didn’t like the feel of not changing to the appropriate attire. Checking myself out in the mirror, I gave a sigh of relief as I managed to change in time. Tardiness never ran in my family.

“Kayla, Layla, please lock up,” I shouted as I closed the door, exiting the house and getting onto my bike to cycle to work.

My main priority was ridding myself of that letter and getting on with my business. I didn’t want to forget this and face the wrath of the idiots. Haha! That was a priceless thought. I smiled on the short trip to work.

Pulling over in the alley way, I chained my bike to one of the pipes that ran along the wall and straightened my coat before using the back entrance. The club was kicking with business as usual. Married men never seemed to stop coming to this place. Majority of them were our usual customers. It’s pathetic but who cares. I have no right to bring them down because they have full knowledge of what they’re risking. I was just here to do my job – sell the alcohol that heightens the stupidity.

“Hey Mark!” I shouted over the music to my fellow bartender.

Mark risked a wave as he poured six shots of neat Whiskey into the shot glasses. I took my place and immediately began serving the thirsty bunch of men that were already leaning over the counter in anticipation. Candice would have to get her letter later. I just hope I don’t forget.