Chapter 1 : The Task

“Tiring out after the woeful lies,

I aspire to be the tissues that wipe all teary eyes

Shaken within time’s chaos

I want to be the beam that lets you carry on.”

I have often written things like this. I aspire to be a poet, despite my obvious lack of form or attraction that former poets had. But that didn’t discourage me at all. One day I’ll have my hearing.  I should probably begin with improving my English mark from a C to an A. The constant efforts I put seem to always leave me at a miserable C. It’s a pass, but a low one. My head plopped onto my pillow, a groan expanding my body as I released my frustration. My homework lay in front of me, half completed and neat, yet my prized possession lay on top of it all. The one thing that is personal and unknown by anyone else – my grey and blue denim coated A5 notebook. It was where I emptied my mind and displayed my emotions. I hid nothing from it just as it reciprocated the fact. I lifted my head a little, smiling at that thought. As stupid as this may sound, it was a relationship unlike any other.

“Eden!”

I lifted my body off my bed and held it up, using my arms as support. My green hair covered my eyes, but some rebellious strand decided to poke it. A shake of my head put it back into place, leaving my left blue eye watery as hell.

“Yeah?”

“A friend is here to see you.”

‘Friend’? That isn’t really a word I’m accustomed to. I had a school’s worth of acquaintances’, but no one was to a “friend”. The closest would have to be Taylor, the manga creator at Kinta High School. This did peak my curiosity, so I stood up and headed for the stairs. Curse unicorns for my stroke of bad luck.

“Hey Eden!” Kain said, as he walked past my dad and began ascending the stairs.

Kain was a Hitler reincarnation. Not the painter side of Hitler though. He was blue eyed like me, had blonde hair and a big ass muscle form unlike me -  the obvious dream soccer captain and rugby star of our school. Did I forget to mention that he is also a conceited, intimidating, rich kid? No one lower than his standard could either be his friend or be in his fan club. Yeah, FANCLUB! Now here is this tyrant, dragging me by my arm to my own room which I involuntarily directed him to. What does he want with me? Mentally I back tracked to any possible event that could have made our paths cross, but there really wasn’t a time where I could have possibly pissed him off. I was displeased by this visit.

Shoving my meagre form on the bed, Kain smiled and joined me, sitting at the edge. I got up onto my elbows and looked at him, my face twisting in the confusion which he had bestowed upon me. If I wasn’t so caught up in thought, I would have tossed him out my room and asked him not to bother me if I haven’t done shit, but he beat me to words.

“I need a favour,” he said, scratching the back of his head.

“Uh…” was my immediate reply.

I practically never existed in his world. All of a sudden, I did. What possible favour could concern me?

“I need you to deliver a letter for me. It’s to a weird place though. Well, weird for me,” he admitted with a slight rosy tint to his cheek.

This was intriguing. Scary and gut wrenching, but an intriguing opportunity. I tilted my head, wanting more information.

“It’s at the joint you work at. I want you to give it to Candice,” he explained.

Oh. For this to make sense to you, I need to explain that I’m 17 and employed at a bar for a strip club. Before you gasp and think of hurling disgusting phrases at me, let me inform you that I’m just the bar man and the cashier. The strippers and I have good relationships though. They all pretend to be mothers to me since I’m motherless and though it is frowned upon because of their line of work, I actually appreciate and respect them. Furthermore, this isn’t a situation that needs to be kept on the down low. Almost everyone who knows me is aware of my job - including my headmaster. It was awkward at first, but my dad needed the financial help and that was the agreed course of action. I’ve worked there for just three years. I’ll change jobs when my schooling is done though.

Anyway, enough of my history and now back to my room. No other student had been given the privilege that I have. If any student is caught near my job, a disciplinary action may be carried out by the school or their parents. But teens being teens, a few do manage to slip through the fine net of rules. I don’t report these incidents since I couldn’t care less. I only limit their number of drinks, because most of them are usually underage. Seeing that I was the key in this equation, I smirked slightly.

“Candice? Is this some illegal operation?” I joked, making myself laugh.

“Shut it twig!”

That did silence me, but not because of his tone. It was because I resented the fact that people make fun of my weight. No one really knows that I suffer with anorexia, so it kind of ticks off my bitter streak. Allowing the room to remain silent for a moment, I sighed.

“Listen, just do this and no shit will happen to you. Imagine yourself immune, for the time being,” he said, switching to bribery tactics.

I leaned my head back, withholding my response.

“Hey, you better do it you ignorant shit or else I’ll beat the crap out of you on a daily basis.”

I collapse backwards onto my back. A groan escaped my lips as what seemed to have originally started as begging now turned into venomous threats. This guy confuses me. I don’t know if he’s desperate or not. Either way, I don’t want to be beaten to crap or have him in my room any longer. A sudden weight on either side of my torso unsettled me and attracted my attention to Kain, who currently hung above me.

“You’re gonna do it, right?”

I nodded like a crazy man. He was hanging on top of me at an unreasonable distance. Wasn’t he here for a girl? God make it end! I’ll do whatever he wishes just-

“Get off of me already!”

Chuckling, Kain sat up and patted my leg.

“Alright! I’ll head out now. See you tomorrow,” he said before disappearing.

I looked at my door confused. That was mind boggling. All I’ll say is that it shouldn’t happen ever again. Sitting up, I re-thought the situation.

“No,” I whined to myself. “I just made myself someone’s bitch.”

Smacking my face in disappointment I pouted. My life from here onwards is going to be scheduled by this jerk. Great.

 xxx

Hey! Hope it's enjoyable for my first part! :) Please do keep reading and supporting me! I need motivation to keep pushing through. And comment if you see places that need improving so I can make my writing better. KEEP READING PLEASE THANK YOU!