Memories- Harry

Okay, in case anyone reads this I had to write this because I’ve been listening to this song for days and I keep having this idea and I just had to put it into words.

  Listen to I Can’t Make You Love Me: Mark Masri (the video on the side) because that is what inspired this whole thing. Seriously it will make it that much better…I promise.

  You tilted back your head and laughed, then took off down the shore, grateful for the tinted shades you had on to block the bright sun rays. The warm sand alternated between wet and dry as your toes flung water as you kept on going.

  You heard the familiar easy patter of feet behind you, and his laugh, that beautiful laugh became closer and closer, even as you tried to keep a constant pace.

  You threw a glance over your shoulder right before strong arms were wrapped around you, locking you in his grip and holding you tightly and securely to his chest.

  You squealed a bit and turned in his arms to end up face to face with his dazzling grin. “Do you really think I’d ever let you get too far?” Harry shook his head at you, still smiling, before pulling you in for a tighter hug that you melted into.

  You wrapped yourself in the plush white towel that was your favorite and carefully stepped out of the shower. Your phone had been going off nonstop since you got in and you were sure there was only one person who would be sending frequent messages at the late hour.

  Unlocking it, your chat with Harry was still up, but this time filled with new texts.

Harry: Babe, you know I love you?

Harry: And I am not just saying that.

Harry: I mean it, and it’s frustrating that I can’t find the right way to prove it to you.

Harry: You are my everything.

  You stared at the last message, tuning out the drips from the shower and the laughing from the television in the next room. There was no way to respond to it, how could you possibly explain that you felt the exact same way knowing that words weren’t good enough?

  He was more than your everything, and you were more than willing to give up anything for him.

  You let your feet carry you to the bedroom and you sat on the edge of the bed, heavy with emotion and heart fluttering.

  Tapping the numbers you knew by heart, the first ring had barely enough time to sound before you heard that voice…that voice that you could drown yourself in.

  “Hi.” His sounded husky and breathy, and you smiled to yourself, picturing him stretched out on a couch…one leg hanging over the edge…dressed in simple shorts and no shirt, and his navy bandanna suffocating his waves.

  You pulled the damp towel closer around your body and brought your legs up to your chest, making yourself into the tightest ball possible. The bed gave nothing more than a slight sigh as you adjusted yourself and let your eyes close, ticking off the seconds with each beat of your heart.

  “Hi. I love you so much Harry.” You sounded quiet and shy because you couldn’t find anything else to say, and in the silence that built up afterward, you knew that was all that was needed.

  The words in front of your face instantly disappeared as the magazine was snatched out of your fingers. Instead, a pouting Harry was in your line of vision, before crawling over you to lie beside you. You turned onto your side, smiling at him, as he did the same.

  No words were exchanged as you let your eyes roam his features, features that you knew as if they were your own.

  He scooted closer to you, his mouth tantalizingly near yours, as his hand traced the bridge of your nose and then the outline of your lips.

  “You are so beautiful.” It came out as a whisper, as if speaking loud would break the spell. His hand continued down to your jawline, and you could feel your heart pick up speed. He bit his lip and his nose scrunched up.

  “You are so beautiful and I can’t believe you are mine.” His palm found its way to your tousled hair, stroking it as his fingers ran though it in no specific pattern.

  Your eyes fluttered shut, and upon opening them, you were faced with nothing but darkness in front of you.

  The space beside you was empty, no heat or impression left over, contradicting the memories that constantly were on replay in your mind.

  You reached out letting the cool air pass in-between your fingers as your vision blurred and your throat clenched.

  Flipping onto your back you didn’t bother to wipe away the tears as the ugly scene played in your mind.

  The look of confusion in his eyes as you two sat on the couch, him trying to figure out his feelings before saying the wrong thing…him getting upset and recoiling away from you…the shake of his head as he saw the pain in your own eyes…the pleading coming from your mouth being deflected by the ridged shape of his back…and then the silence after the slam of the door after he left.

  You let your cries become louder, shoving every inch of pain you felt into each one.

  You wanted him back; because when he had left he had taken more than his precious smile and suitcases with him…he had taken every piece of you.

  But what was the point if you couldn’t make him love you.