Chapter Sixteen ... Pain of the Past

Kylie's POV

"You truly are useless Kylie," Brad snickered at my bloody body on the floor, "That's why you need me so bad isn't it? So you actually have a purpose in this life? God knows you can't even carry a baby to term. I mean that's probably why our baby is dead because you would suck as a mother."

My breath caught in my throat at his words and I quickly broke down into sobs despite how sore it made my body.

"Our baby is dead because of you."

"NO!" I screamed and shot up in a sitting position where I sobbed and sobbed.

"Kylie! Kylie!" Someone called and tried to push me to lay back down, but I fought against the hands. "Kylie open your eyes! It's me! It's Burnie!"

I opened my eyes widely and gasped for air as I stopped struggling. "B-Burnie?" I said looking at him.

"Yeah, it's me. You need to lay down before you tear your stitches." He said as he gently pushed my body against the pillows of the bed.

"My stitches? What stitches?" I asked as I looked around the hospital room.

"Kylie do you remember what happened?" He sighed.

Flashes of my attack filled my head, and suddenly my mind was filled with the blood that was pouring down my legs.

I looked at my belly that was no longer round and swollen with a baby bump, but instead flat and swollen from what looked to be from surgery.

"No, no, no." I shook my head with tears in my eyes as I rubbed my belly. "Where is she? Where is my baby?" I asked while looking up at Burnie who was looking down at the ground with a sorrowful look on his face. "Burnie, please. God please tell me she's not dead." I begged.

He looked up at me with tears in his eyes. "Ky, she's not dead. She's in the NICU."

A part of me felt relieved that my baby was alive but the other part of me felt so damn guilty for not keeping her safe.

"Did you ... Did you see her?" I asked and he gave a short nod. "How did she look?" I asked wanting to see and hold my little girl.

He gave me a small and sad smile, "She's tiny just a pound and a half and eight inches. I was in the room during your C-section and despite not have the lung power she gave the loudest let wail of her life. I think she wanted you." He said.

I felt my bottom lip tremble before throwing my head in my hands and sobbing.

Burnie walked over and wrapped his arms around me, comforting me.

After awhile I calmed down and looked up at Burnie. "How did the police find us and where were you?" I asked wanting answers to why and how I was saved and why it wasn't sooner.

"Well," he started with a sigh, "I saw that asshole walk in and right away I knew he was trouble, but when you tried to run the first time. I instantly called the police who took there good ole time getting there." I watched as he gritted his teeth with anger.

"Did they catch him?" I asked.

"Yes apparently the son of a bitch isn't a fast runner. He admitted everything and we found out he was the one who burnt down your apartment."

I nodded. "Brad hired him to send me a message." I said while looking up at Burnie. "He knows about the baby. He knows where we are . . . God Burnie what am I going to do?"
I was defeated by the man I did everything to stay away from. My life was slowly crumbling by his hand.