Chapter Eight . . . Gone

Kylie's POV

There was nothing to do . . . nothing to say.

Everything I had worked for, paid for, and owned was up in flames and in a pile of a dust.

I blinked at the heat as I watched the flames lick up and burst through a window, glass shattered around me and on the ground.

I could only stare at it, couldn't move because I was so numb.

The only feeling I had was the racing of my heart and the kicking from my baby in my belly.

"Ky," Ray wrapped his arms around me and held me.

"How could this happen?" I asked numbly.

"I don't know." He answered.

"I have nothing . . ." I looked around as I watched people have the same reaction as I did. "We have nothing." I whispered.

A man in a firemen's uniform walked up to us. "Excuse me . . . Kylie correct?"

I nodded. "Yes, that's me."

"I'm the fire marshal, you lived up in room two hundred and eleven?" He questioned.

"Y-yes," I stuttered before pausing, "Well I did anyway."

"The fire started in your apartment, and destroyed the majority of your living area and very little around anyone else's." He explained harshly.

"What are you saying?" Ray asked just as harsh.

"We're suspecting arson."

"A-arson? You don't think I did this do you?" I questioned angrily.

"We don't have any other reason to suspect anyone else." He shrugged.

"Everything I had, everything I worked for was in that apartment! My baby's things were in that apartment! Now I have nothing besides the clothes on my back!" I screamed out of anger and hurt. "Why would I do this?"

"Ma'am I apologize, but you are the only resident in that apartment, unless you have someone who really has a grudge against you, we're going to have to look into this case." He said more gently.

"There's no on-" I stopped and let out a breath. "My ex husband." I answered. "He just got divorce papers." I sighed.

"You think he could of done this?" Ray asked and I nodded.

"We're going to need information on him from you." The fire marshal explained.

"Can we do this later?" Ray asked.

"Of course." The marshal nodded. "I'll get into contact with you at a later time."

"Let's go Ky." Ray said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and dragged me to Frank's car.

"I'm so totally screwed." I whispered.

"No, you're not." Ray rubbed my back as Frank sat quietly upfront.

"I have no where to go, nothing for my kid, what am I going to do Ray? I don't have that much time before maternity leave and-" I stopped talking when Ray smashed his lips to mine.

At first the kiss was needy and passionate, but as time went on it slowed down for a slow caring and gentle kiss.

He pulled away and cupped my cheeks. "You're staying with me."

"But Ray-"

"No but's, you're staying with me, and the rest we'll figure out later." He assured and kissed the top of my head.