Unburied Secrets // Chapter 23

Nico

I stare at the bland walls, unsure of what to do. I should be happy. I should be celebrating the fact that the closest thing I've had to a brother is now a dad.

But all I can think about is my poor, fragile sister in surgery on a cold operating table. She doesn't even know what's happening.

She probably thinks that everything is okay in her mind, but it's actually not. Her body is fighting a strong war, but I don't know how much longer it can survive until a white flag is raised. On the bright side, Frank is getting better. He had opened his eyes for about five seconds before they closed again, but hey, it was process.

Will kept assuring me that Hazel had at least a 62% chance of living. As selfish as it sounded, I wanted it to be 100. I wanted to be absolutely positive that my sister was going to live. I sent a silent prayer to the gods before I slumped down in my seat even farther.

"You should get some sleep," a soft voice spoke next to me. I looked up and saw my ray of sunshine. "Go home," he insisted. "And take a nice, relaxing nap."

He had bags under his eyes and he swayed with every step. I don't know how much longer he would last before he was knocked out cold.

I told him, "How about you listen to your own advice. You look like you're going to pass out any minute now."

He shook his head and yawned. "Can't... Job... Sleep... Not important..."

I roll my eyes at my fiancé and quietly pat the seat next to me. Most of my friends had gone home, tired from the eventful day that had unfolded upon all of us. Jason and Piper were in their hospital room along with their new baby girl.

Life and death is a funny thing. An amazing person passes away, running to the arms of death, which is a shame and saddening, but then an equally amazing person comes into this life to take their place and brighten up the world. It was like an exchange.

I just hope my sister isn't part of it...

I lean my head against Will's chest as he wraps his arms around me and rests his head against mine. My eyes close as I enjoy his warm presence and I almost feel better about the current mess I'm forever trapped in that is called my sad and pathetic life. I could make my life into a book and sell it on Ebay.

We were both silent for a while before quietly murmuring, "Hey, Will?" I could tell he had been on the brink of falling asleep, which made me feel bad for waking him up.

"Hm?"

"I love you."

Even without turning around, I could tell he was giving his signature goofy grin. The same grin I fell in love with and the same one I'm going to marry. Gods, I love this boy so dam much, and nothing could ever change that. He's always been there for me, even when I pushed him away. I hope nobody ever takes him away from me. I don't know what I would do without him.

His golden locks fall over his eyes a bit as I quietly reach out and play with them. "I love you too," he whispers in my ear and gives my sensitive skin a soft kiss, causing a shivering pleasure to go down my spine.

I rest my head against his chest, my arms around his neck as I slowly start to doze off peacefully, knowing the person I love and trust the most in the world is right by my side.

***

"You never went home?"

I slowly open my eyes to the sound of two people arguing quietly. I look over to my left and I see my fiancé quietly talking to a nurse.

"Will!" She protested.

He sighed loudly and ran a hand through his hair. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. There's just so much going on right now. For example, the surgery-"