Chapter 21. Promise to stay

Liara's pov

I must have fallen asleep again.. When I woke up, their was a rose sitting on the table besides me. I stared at it for bit before I sat up, my body still aching with each movement I made.
All that happened a couple hours ago seemed like a dream. Maybe it was a dream.. Maybe I was delirious, and hallucinating.
I was the one who pushed him away, but at the same time his presence gave me warmth. Saying that Jeff gave me both fear and comfort was vague and indescribable. What is the matter with me. .

2 weeks later.

I reached over and lifted the glass of water the nurse had left me earlier; taking a sip.
"Liara!" A voice called, startling me and causing me to release my grip around the glass. The cup fell to the ground and shattered.
I looked up to see Caleb holding a bouquet of flowers. "Hey Liara.. I heard about the, uh, accident.." He extended his arms to display the flowers. "I brought you these."
They were colorful tulips; not the type of flowers you bring to a place like this. I imagined the beautiful plant slowly withering in the deathly hospital atmosphere.
"Thanks.." I coughed, covering my mouth with an arm.

"Are you here to bring me schoolwork?"

"No.. I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"Well I'm fine."

"I wanted to make sure."

"Caleb, I've had a long day-"

"But it's not even noon yet." He interuppted. I frowned.

"..." I know I should be more thankful that I even have visitors, though all I'm asking for is some time alone.
Caleb sighed and walked over to the tv, turning it on. I was just about to complain that I didn't want to listen to the news and for him to turn it off but something caught my attention.

"Famous Psychotic Murderer, Jeff The Killer, finally tracked down." The man on the screen announced. My mouth dropped when I looked at the tv to see a picture of Jeff on screen. His face looked younger and normal.. It was a highschool boy, the smile on his face absent. "We can finally sleep in peace now that Jeffery is taken into custody." The man finished.
"Something wrong?" Caleb stepped infront of the tv.

Oh no.

I jumped up from the bed and ran straight through the doors and into the hall, right into a nurse. "Where are you going miss? You must remain in your room." She grabbed my arm, but I shook her off than hoved her out of my way.
I sprinted down the hallway.
The rest of the hospital was like a maze. I don't know how I dodged the doctors and escaped.

But somehow I managed.

I flung my arms wildly as a taxi went by. "Taxi!" The car stopped and I rushed in. I then realized where Jeff was. All I knew was that he was held at a asylum. "Do you know if there's any asylums here, close by?"

"Well, um there's one a couple blocks from here.." The driver shot me an odd look.

"Please take me there. It's an emergency."

"Alright."

The pale building smelled like rust. Patches of dead flowers surrounded the place.
I opened the front door and entered through. The inside had a rusty smell lingering the air. I looked up; the ceiling was so high I couldn't quite make out the top.
"May I help you, Miss?" A woman had approached me. I stared at her for a moment.

"I'm here to visit someone.."

"Come this way." She said, leading me to the reception desk. "And who is it you are here to see, Miss?"

"Jeff."

"The killer, Jeffery?" She raised an eyebrow, questioning my answer.

"Yes. I'd like to see him.."

"Well, right this way.."

We headed down a dark, empty hall until we reached the end. She opened the door. Before I proceeded inside, she said. "He is a little-" she paused, eyeing me for a moment before shaking her head. "Nevermind"

I closed the door behind me after I entered. The room looked empty except for a single chair. I noticed the glass wall separating the two sides of the the room. "Jeff. .?" I asked, expecting silence as my answer. "I'm here. ." Walking forward, I pressed my hands against the glass. Jeff was sitting in the corner, his back turned towards me, carving pictures into the wall with a small knife.
I twisted the doorknob and the door opened. Slowly, I walked over to him until I was hovering above him. I crouched down and Jeff spun around, his dagger sinking into the flesh of my thigh. Gasping outloud, I fell forward. He looked at my face with a suprised expression.

"Liara!?" He exclaimed questionably, as if he didn't believe that it was really me here. "It's you. ." He placed his hand around my wound, caressing it. The blood was beginning to seep through my jeans.
Pressing the sleeve of his hoodie onto my thigh, he held it in place; soaking up my blood. "Sorry. . I didn't expect you. ."

"Don't worry. ." I answered.

"Why did you come here?" I knew he very well already knew my answer. Why he decided to question me, I didn't know."

"You were on the news.. ."

"Is that really it?"

"Fine. I was worried okay!" I admitted sheepishly. Jeff watched me, barely hiding his curiosity. "I was worried about you.." I mumbled.

"You should know.. You do mean something to me. A lot.. more than anything." He pulled me close to his chest and wrapped his arms around me.

"Jeff-"

"Shh..just listen.. I'm never going to leave you" He held me tighter, and I slid my arms underneath his; returning his affections. "I'll promise you.."

"Don't promise.." I whispered, not wanting to have those words betray me yet again.

____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys I'm sorry it took this long to update, my phone was just not letting me upload without freezing. I finally uploaded though so I apologize for everyone who had to wait. I will be uploading again weekly and hope you guys will keep reading. I love you guys and thank you so much for being patient with me. ♥♥

xoxo, Alice ♥