Chapter 19. Bitter and poisonous

Liara's pov.

The room was dark, and completely empty. Where was I? There were no doors visible, no nothing.  

I heard footsteps coming up behind me. Instead of turning, I stood in place; holding my breath. Two cold hands were placed upon my shoulders and I screamed; watching the darkness around me twist violently into evolving spirals.

Beep. Beep. Beep.  

I opened my eyes to stare up at the ceiling. I was lying in a hospital bed, the monitor beeping quietly in the background. My head hurt. As I tried to sit up, I only fell back overcome with pain.  

The door creaked open and a nurse walked in. "Oh good. You're finally awake 

" She greeted me with a warm smile."You've been out for a while, the doctors were starting to get worried."

"How long was I out?"

"A week, it seemed like you were in a coma."

"Oh."

"Do you remember what happened?"

I stared at the lady with a blank expression. "What?"

"The night you were brought here? Do you remember what occurred beforehand?"

The memory of the basement flashed through my head, the immense amount of blood lost, dying in Jeff's arms, and all the events that hurt to recall. I blushed at the last thought. "No. I can't seem to remember anything.."

"Oh well. That's no problem. It's pretty common among patients like you." She answered, setting a tray on the table besides me. "Here's some breakfast." She lifted the glass of water and proceeded to feed me.

"You don't have to." I took the glass from her and sipped.

"Is there anything you need?" She asked.

"Uhm. No, thanks."

"Alright. Well press if you need anything." She pointed to a buzzer sitting on the table. I nodded and she exited.  

After I ate, I decided to give another try at sitting up. Painful. My body was completely wrapped in bandages.  

Closing my eyes, I fell into a restless sleep.  

I woke up at a few hours later. Mom was sitting besides me, stroking my hair. "Hey baby you awake?" She smiled.

"Mom?"

"I'm here."

"When'd you come home?"

"I rushed home as soon as they called me and said you were in the hospital. You were in an accident."

"Accident?"

"You probably don't remember. You were hurt pretty rough. Baby.. you were exploring an old house and fell down the stairs and were attacked by some savage dogs that dwelled in the basement.. they chewed you up pretty bad. Crazy, huh?"

"Oh. Yeah.."

"A young man found you and brought you here. You would've died from loss of blood if he didn't."

"Jeff.." I whispered.

"What dear?"

"Oh nothing. I'm just glad you're here." Mom smiled at me and took my hand.

"I was so worried about you. I thought you were a goner."

"I did too.." I whispered, but not loud enough to be heard. She looked at me and her expression grew serious for a moment.

"Liara there's something I want to tell you."

"What is it mom?"

"Well. I know this isn't what you want to hear.. but I'm seeing someone. His name is Johne, and he's a sweet guy. I want you to understan-"

"Mom! I thought we've gone through this! What about dad?!"

"Honey. Your father's not coming back."

"I know.. but I don't have room in my heart for any more people."

"Please Liara. Just give him a chance. Once you get to know hi-"

"I don't want to get to know him!"

"Sweetheart. Maybe you'll learn to love again.."

"He's not taking dad's place."

"I know, but maybe-"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore.."

"Sweetheart.."

"Mom. Please..just go." I felt the tears welling up in my eyes and decided to close them.

Mom sighed and left the room; leaving me alone. I was angry and disappointed, two difficult emotions. How could mom do this to me? How could she do this to dad..  

I know I had been a little too hard on her, but what was I suppose to say? Congratulations? I'm happy that you so easily found refuge in another man; thus replacing dad in a heartbeat? Hell no.  

A sick feeling erupted in my stomach and I couldn't tell if they were from my wounds or not. The clock was ticking, I was getting more uneasy. Maybe I should lie down.

It wasn't long before I was passed out.  

But I was no longer in my hospital bed. I was in the middle of the street. Police sirens were heard; loud and obnoxious. They were after someone. Jeff! He was running down the street towards me. A couple cops trailing him. Jeff grabbed my arm and twirled me around, me infront of him. "Release the the girl, Jeffery." The police yelled. Jeff smirked and whipped out his knife, pressing it against my neck. The police raised their guns. "Release her now before we shoot." Jeff's hands slowly moved away. "Step away from the girl." Jeff stepped back, holding his hands up in the air. The cops raised their weapons and pointed in Jeff's direction.

"No! Don't shoot him!" I ran infront of Jeff, waving my hands in the air.

"Young lady, step away from the killer." The oldest police warned. "Or we'll have to shoot." I stared at the police officer, unmoving.  

Bang.  

The trigger was pulled, and instantly I heard something crack.

. . . . . . .

I let out a bloodcurdling scream. The door busted open and the nurse ran in. "What happened?!" She asked, coming besides me. I curled up into a tiny ball, wrapping my arms around my knees. "Did someone hurt you?" I buried my face under the sheets. "Did something happen?!" I couldn't answer. I had no words to reflect how I felt.  

I felt numb.  

Completely oblivious.

__________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment!  

Love you guys!  

Love, Alice xoxo