Chapter 7. He loves me. He loves me not

Liara's pov

I got little to no sleep after he left. Jeff's absence made my thoughts swarm in my mind. My thoughts were so loud, it was drowning out the real world.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. . . 

My alarm echoed, vibrating on my desk. I had forgotten that today was the day we came back from break. I rolled over and dragged myself from the comforts of my bed. My body felt better but it was still incredibly sore. I opened the curtains a crack and light flooded into the room. It hurt my eyes so I closed it, the darkness slowly creeping back in. Letting out a yawn, I went to brush my teeth and my morning school routine. When I looked into the mirror I was able to see exactly how worn out I appeared. The mascara on my eyes were smeared and the eyeshadow looked centuries old. My bottom lip had dried blood but that was something I was able to fix with some lip butter. I picked up a brush and tried to detangle my hair. It was going to be awhile, since my hair was so long.  

Then I splashed some water on my face and placed a new coat of mascara on my lashes. I pulled open my drawers and rummaged through the layers of garments. After deciding on a pair of black skinny jeans and a sweater, I slung my schoolbag over my shoulder and proceeded down the stairs. I sighed and left for school.

I was a junior in highschool, and only had to endure one more year before I was set free. I placed my earbuds in and drowned the world around me out with my music.  

My first period was physics. There was a substitute. I sat down in the assigned seat and focused on the lyrics of my song. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder though I wanted to ignore whoever it was but instead I turned around. It was Caleb.  

His smile faded as his eyes changed focus to the red marks on my neck where Jeff had his hands around.

"Liara, What happened?" He asked, eyes with curiosity. His voice was filled with concern.

"Oh nothing. It's just a ..a couple bug bites and scratches.." I pulled my hair out from behind to cover up the marks. Caleb's stare lingered. I knew he wasn't buying it.  

We were interrupted by the substitute who began to introduce himself. I was glad he did, but I still felt Caleb's eyes on me.  

Caleb and I used to be good friends last year. Its been pretty obvious that he had feelings for me ever since. I just couldn't say I was feeling the same way, yet I couldn't tell him no either. This put a strain on our friendship. I could tell he was trying everything he could to get me to confess. The thing is; I had nothing to confess to him. Yeah, he was cute with his curly blonde hair and blue eyes but I just didn't want to be with him. I was a burden for anyone, and nobody should have to deal with me.

When the bell rang, I sped out and hid behind some lockers. I avoided Caleb at lunch by going outside and sitting under an old maple tree. I leaned against the tree, picking a flower out of the ground. I stared up into the sky. Picking off the petals one by one, I whispered. "He loves me. . He loves me not.. he loves me. . He loves me not. .he love-" My train of thought was interrupted when a hand suddenly reached down and plucked the remains of the flower from my hand and dropped a rose in it's place. It landed in my lap and I looked up. There was nothing there except for some dead tree branches. I picked up the rose from my lap and looked up to see Jeff standing infront of me.

"Counting flower petals?" He held the petal-less flower in the center of his palm. It was now shriveled and dead looking. I blushed but caught myself, pinching my arm.

"It's a game I play.." Jeff smiled. "Hey, where'd you get this rose? It's beautiful.."

"There's a garden behind my house that has a couple rose bushes."

"That sounds amazing." I exclaimed, beaming. I would have loved to see a garden..

"It's not far. I could show you sometime.." he said.

"Really? I'd love to!" I answered with a little too much excitement. "Uhm. I mean, cool. sounds like fun.." I blushed, thinking of how lame I had sounded earlier. Jeff leaned down and ran his fingers through my hair before he abruptly pulled back.

"You knoww, You're kind of cute when you're blushing.." he mumbled. I looked up at him. These didn't seem like words Jeff would say.

"Wha-"

"Nothing." He interuppted.

Just then, I heard someone call my name. It was Caleb. I shot a glance behind me to see Caleb running over to me. He approached me, panting heavily.

"Who was the guy in the white hoodie you were with..?" He asked, looking around. I then noticed that Jeff was gone. It was only me and him.

__________________________________________

Hey everyone. Thanks for reading. I'll be updating more so stay tuned! C: Also I'd appreciate a comment or like, for encouragement. Opinions are welcome C:

Love, Alice