Chapter 24

"Where are you taking me?" I shout at the guards who hold me tightly by the arms.

  They just walk solid as bricks as I kick and scream like a total lunatic.

  They walk through several corridors, turning right, left, stopping and going, until we reach a hallway I have never been down. They stop at a closed door and drop their grip, right as I try to make a run for it, the door opens.

  "Come in." A female voice says.

  When I get inside I see I am standing in a small control room. In the center of the room is a large conference table, and the lady whose voice it is motions for me to sit down.

  I observe her.

  She can't be older than forty-five but yet something about her makes her seem almost elderly. She wears a skirt suit, gray, the color of her hair.

  "I am special agent Laboe." She smiles a terrible toothy smile that sends tingles down my back, "This is General Nelson. And of course you know General Hawthorne and Sargent Maxwell Hawthorne." That is when I realize the other six eyes staring at me.

  "Sargent?" I say looking at Max.

  "Yeah I was promoted-" Max gets cut of by Laboe.

  "Not important. Rosie I was told that Max asked you a question in Nelson's honor, and that you refused."

  "Yes." I tilt my head to the right.

  "You see this is a very important topic. A very special assignment, Mockingjay is a big deal! The biggest deal in the arm-" I cut her off.

  "You remind me of someone." She stares at me obviously irritated, "Are you Capitol born?" I say pointing at some pictures hanging on the walls of her when she was younger.

  "Yes."

  "Oh that explains it."

  "Explains what?"

  "Your obvious ignorance, your coinheadedness."

  "Coinheadedness?"

  "Yes, President Coin... The previous president of this lovely district, was ignorant as well. She had no idea what us Everdeen-Mellarks have up our sleeve. She was stupid enough to hand my mother a bow and arrow, and then nag at her. She didn't last very long in that fight." I get up and get a closer look at the photos.

  Everyone but Max looks confused.

  "The moral to my little story, is that this little conversation of ours is most likely going to end in one of us being injured." I smile, "I am guessing it is gonna be you Coinhead."

  "On that note-"

  "Thank you but no thank you. I don't feel like injuring anyone right now, so I am going to leave."

  I walk towards the door.

  "This was a wonderful little chat, but really I must go."

  They all stare at me amused as Max begins to laugh.

  I open the door and walk out sending a wink Max's way.

  About half way down the hall I hear the door open again, so I speed up my pace, that is when I hear his laugh.

  "Rosie!" He says in between chuckles.

  I turn around a big grin on my face.

  "Yes Sargent Maxwell Hawthorne." I straighten my face and lower my voice, mocking Coinhead.