Chapter 14

Quick before you read this chapter! Go back and reread Chapter 4 I made some edits! And added a whole new section of the beginning awards thingy! Peace!

  Max stands at my side as Jonny enters the cave. 

  Sweat trickles my forehead as my fever rises.

  Jonny comes out looking angry.

  "She wasn't in there." He says looking towards the ground, "Come on."

  He starts off towards the cornacopia.

  We have been living there since they decided they weren't coming out of this alive. The night I was crowned "Victor."

  "Could we stop?" I say half way there.

  Max sets me down on a falled tree and I unwrap my ankle.

  "It's swelling again." I say biting my jacket sleeve.

  Max rubs on some of his old antibiotic cream, pretending it will help. 

  "Face it I'm a goner." I say looking up at Max. I have repeated these words several times to them.

  "Stop saying that Rose. Lover boy can't take it." Jonny says jokingly.

  "How could you joke about this!" Max replies.

  Both boys have been fighting a lot since the other night. Max has been a lot more resistent you could say. 

  They start screaming at eachother. Just before Max throws a punch I bud in.

  "Max! Stop it! Both of you!" They freeze, "I am not going to sit here pretending like we are just one big happy family! For God's sake we are hunting down a twelve year old girl! Can't you just pretend to care!" I shout at them, "I am literally dying here and not even Max seems to care. I might as well jump off a cliff. I'm the reason we are hunting her. I am the reason both of you won't just shut up! And because you to insist on me winning, can we please commit murder quietly! That's probably the reason we haven't found her yet because you two won't shut up, so she can see us coming! If a deaf man could hear you from two hundred miles away, so can Maddie." I take a deep breath as both boys stare wide eyed at me, not speaking, "Much better. Now Max, be a doll and help me up. Please." I return back to my normal stature and the boys don't say a peep the rest of the walk.

  We reach the cornacopia, and still no Maddie Robbins.

  Georgia died in a battle at the cornacopia. Jonny sure can put up a fight. My body turned out to be hers. Jonny says that seeing yourself dead is an often hallucination caused by the snake bite. Another reason why they call it the death eater snake, because often the hallucinations caused by the venom have to do with death. That is why Max's face turned into a skull and Georgia turned into me.

  I just don't get it though. How I couldn't have seen the snake. I mean when I run I often keep my eyes on the ground. I don't know how it couldn't have shown up somewhere in my vision.

  "Might as well spend the night here. I'll take the first shift from here until midnight, Max you take Midnight till dawn. Good?" Max nods.

  I've gotten used to no responsibility the past few days. But it does get slightly boring.

  Hopping through the rows and rows of boxes I finally make it to a some what sturdy box in the very back of the cornacopia. I curl up in a ball and Max joins me, using my theigh as a pillow.

  "Night." I whisper.

  "Night Rosie." He whispers back.

***************************************************************************************************************