Chapter 12

The moment I stepped outside I felt the change. The chills that crawled up and down my spine leaving a trail of goose bumps. 

  While I was in the cave the forest was being covered in a layer of thick white snow.

 "Right on cue." Stella's voice rung in my ears, "I see Lover Boy is injured."

 I glance up and find Marius in the tree behind her with a blood stained shirt.

 "Looks like yours is too." I smile a forced smile feeling the fear bubble up inside my stomach.

 I prepare my self to sprint in the direction of the tree and shoot an arrow through Marius' heart.

 "Not so fast Rosie... Molly!" Molly comes dragged out of the woods by Jackson, the other career. Her eyes were scared and soft filled with tears.

  "Rosie... Help me please!" Her scared face glanced in my direction.

 "That's enough!" With one swift movement of Stella's hand Molly silenced, "I don't know if you have been watching the anthem nightly but yesterday poor Ella Madison died... She wondered off in the night to attend personel issues and," she drew her hands across her throat, "You would've heard the cannon."

 "I did hear the cannon last night... I just hoped it had been you." Honest truth.

 She through her head back in the air laughing... more like cackling.

 "Now here is how this is going to go, you hand over lover boy and we hand over Molly, or both die... your choice." 

  I reach for my arrows calmly but before I can grab them Jackson falls to the ground, along with Marius who falls two stories from the tree above.

  "How did you?" Stella's face grows angry, "You killed my Marius and now you are going to pay!" 

  Her sword stabs Molly through the chest staining Molly's shirt with crimson blood.

  Molly falls to the ground shaking vigourously.

  Suddenly things go black and everything begins to happen in slow motion. I can feel my hand reaching for the arrows and releasing the string of the bow. Stella falls to the ground beside Molly and the cannon sounds, a loud echo continuing on for several seconds. I run towards Molly the tears on my face freezing in the cold rush of air.

  "Rosie?" Her voice is a low scrachy whisper.

  "You are gonna be okay... Molly you are going to be fine. You are fine." The words just come out, her eyes grow hazy and her head begins to roll to the side a little so I lift it into my lap and start stroking my fingers through her red-blonde hair, "Stay with me, stay with me. Don't go Molly... Don't go."

  "Rosie I'm scared." 

  "Don't be scared Molly nothing is going to happen you'll be fine. it's just a small cut."

  Her eyes move down towards her heart.

 "Rosie don't leave me promise you won't leave me! Please! Please!" She begins to shake again and starts to cry.

 "I won't leave I sware!"

 "Is Max alright?"

 "He is fine... just peachy."

 "Good..." Her eyes begin to roll towards her forehead.

 "No stay with! Stay with me." I can feel the sobs choking my voice.

  "Win... For me, okay Rosie!" I nod, "And I'm sorry for what my grandpa did to your family."

  "Molly don't go, you are going to be fine!" She closes her eyes but opens them again.

  "I'm sleepy Rosie..." Her voice is barely a whisper through her tears, "Thank yo-"

  She starts to shake rappidly and I try to calm her but before I can she is gone. Her body is limp in my arms. Pefectly calm and still. 

  "No! Molly come back! Molly!!!" The sobs are etching a scar on my very soul.

  I begin to heave. The sobs moving my body in flnches. I let out a blood curdling scream, wishing my mom could comfort me. 

  I catch sight of my hands. They are now covered in crimson blood. Molly's crimson blood.

  I start clawing at the snow covered ground beneath me. Each scratch is followed by a sob of pain and memories dripping like blood away from me.

  Right as my face falls down, and rests on Molly's head, two arms begin lift me up of the body.

  "Stop! Stop! I can't leave her! Stop! Stop!" I cry, flailing my arms in twenty different directions. 

  But the person keeps pulling and eventually wraps a blanket around me and carries me back to the cave where I find a half dead Max looking at us like a deer in headlights. 

  My carrier places me next to Max and I snuggle into Max's chest still sobbing.

  "Rosie what happened out there?" Max hugs me tighter. And I sob into his chest and wrap my arms around him, staining his black shirt with Molly's blood.

  "Molly." Well now I know my carrier can speak, "She tried to save her... But in the end she was too late. Max they were offering her a trade. She had to either give you up to save Molly, or both of you were soon to be dead. But Rosie, stubborn little Rosie, decided on trying to save the day as usual. " 

  The voice. The voice. So familiar.

  Jonny!

  "If it weren't for me shooting the other two careers... Rosie and you and," he pauses "Molly would all be dead." Jonny's voice grows farther and farther away.

  By now my sobs have stopped, they have been replaced with a chill that won't leave my body, causing me to shake as if I were buried in ice.

  "Warm her up, she is in shock... I am going to go get your medicine... and hopefully something warm for her. I should be back soon, after all... We are down to the final five." This sends everything, but one thought, out of my head...

  We are four people away from going home... But three of those four are us... Which means two of us have to die. Only one victor shall remain.

  I suddenly feel like I have been hit by a lightening bolt.

  "I am coming along." I manage to get these four simple words out.

  The dried tears have left my face sticky and my pupils red.

  "I am not so sure that is a good idea." Jonny says.

  "I am not so sure you should tell me what to do." I reply smirking.

  "FIne but the feast isn't until tomorrow. So rest up. I will wake you when it is time." 

  I close my eyes and let slumber take over.