Chapter 8 [part 1]: New Jobs

-- Ali's POV --

“Something smells good,” someone said as the door opened. The first thing I noticed was her fiery-red hair and immediately knew it was Gina.

                “Yeah,” I responded, pointing to the pizza. “We just made it. We also have cake, if you want some.”

                Gina smiled and then gave a pointed look that we both knew Summer wouldn’t notice.

                “Hey Ali, can I talk to you for a sec?”

                “Sure Gee,” I said, hopping down from the stool and following her into my bedroom. Summer narrowed her eyes slightly but didn’t say anything.

                “What?” I asked as she shut the door behind her.

                “Did you tell her?”

                I shook my head.

                “Ali!” she scolded.

                “Hey!” I said defensively. “I’m trying to protect her feelings! She’ll think it’s all her fault and become all depressed again – No let me finish, Gee! She’s been so great today. Why upset her now, eh?”

                “That’s all very understandable,” said Gina irritably, “but don’t you think Summer’s going to notice when you don’t show up at work?”

                “Ah.” I hadn’t thought this through.

                “Yes. ‘Ah.” She said.

                “Er... I’ll just... go out.”

                “Where?” asked Gina sceptically.

                “Town.”

                Gina snorted.

                “You’re going to do that every day, are you?”

                “No,” I said quietly. “Just until I get another job.”

                This seemed to soften Gina because she said no more, and we walked back to the kitchen together.

                “What was all that about?” Summer muttered in my ear as she placed her dish in the sink.

                “Nothing,” I said innocently and then grabbed my washing-up gloves. Summer stared at them. “Would you like to help, sis?”

“Ew, no,” she said. “Look at the colour of those gloves. Bright yellow. Ugh.”

I grinned. She was back.

**

                The alarm I had set the night before woke me up in the morning. I had set it to wake me up extra early so I could begin searching online for job offers before leaving to town. Hopefully, Summer would still be sleeping ‘til then.

                I grabbed my laptop from under my bed and opened the lid. After I typed the password in, it turned on and I quickly headed for the internet.

                I typed assistant chef into Google and then clicked on the first website that came up. There were quite a few jobs going.

                I chose the closest one to where we lived and typed the number into the phone. A female voice answered.

                “Good morning,” I began, feeling nervous already. “My name is Ali Jenkins. I was wondering if you had any positions open and, if so, how could I apply?”

                The hiring manager confirmed that there were openings and that I’d have to send a resume and cover letter by mail or e-mail. She spelled out the name it was to be addressed to, told me to have a nice day and hung up.

                I was on the first step to getting a new job!

________________________________________________________

This is only the first half of the chapter! My battery is about to die and I don't have the laptop charger with me -____-

When I go find it I'll post the next half of this chapter (: xxx