✴Twenty Two✴

As I was stunned and was standing on the pavement without moving but was just staring at my phone in my hand and was asking myself whether I should answer the call or not. A loud horn made me jump few feet high in the air. I turned back and found a widely grinning Caleb and giggling Britt next to him. Jeez! Creepers.

"What?" I kinda growled at Caleb. I reduced the volume but I couldn't make myself to disconnect Zan's call.

"Hop in, girl." Caleb sighed. Britt was agreeing to it by nodding violently. Gosh! This girl never learns. I hit her too many times asking her not to shake or bob her head so much.

I was a bit lazy to continue with my walking and with the boiling anger, I may do anything stupid if I was on my own. So, I quietly hopped in the back seat without a word and leaned against the glass window.

"Kate? Do you wanna talk about it?" Britt spoke up , once we got home and I was about to jump out of the car and sprint to my room.

"There's nothing to talk about, Britt. I already made my choice." I said, sighing at the thought of it.

"Whaaaaaat?" Cable's and Britt's eyes were bulged in shock as they screamed in unison.

I gave them a blank look and stepped out of the car and sprinted off to my room. I know the wolf couple would catch up to me in no time at all.

As I ran up the stairs I could hear Caleb and Britt entering inside the house not so quietly.

"Quiet, Hooligans." Grandma yelled from her room.

I continued running and stopped only after I reached my room. I fell flat on my bed and waited for them to join me. I can't ignore those two, even if I try to.

"Katelyn Maria Scott, if you don't open your mouth then I've no other choice but to tear it open or cut off your hair." Caleb used his warning tone on me with Britt glaring at me through slits. Oh! I'm scared. I wanted to laugh at their faces. I don't know why people choose to call you by your full name when they're angry or pissed. May be they just wanna show off that they're really angry? Pft.

"Sit down, both of you." I said in a very calm voice, and lifted myself up from the bed.

Caleb jumped on my bed, pushing Britt in the process. Caleb could get so inhumane at times. It makes sense though, he's half human and half wolf. Britt sat next to me, she looked so excited and was covering her mouth already to control herself from squealing.

I looked at Caleb first, he looked as excited and curious as Britt too but he couldn't control it. He was literally bouncing on my bed. Then, I turned to look at Britt, she had freaking tears welled up in her eyes. Gosh! My friends are so insanely cute.

I inhaled and exhaled slowly before opening my mouth.

The second the name of my chosen mate escaped my mouth, Britt's patient tears rolled down and now she was covering her mouth so tightly. I was afraid whether her small lips may tear off. Caleb looked okay with my decision too.

The lovebirds left once they got the answer, saying that they've got an important work or something. I know they were lying. They wanted to go meet Alpha Nick and Luna Sadie to see their reactions there.

⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

Ashley got here around 7pm. In meantime, I took a cold shower to put off the fire in me due to the raging temper from earlier and felt a lot better. Zander had even texted me.

Zander: I'm so happy. :) I actually sensed it today. Call me when you're free. Xoxo.

Awe. But I didn't have time to reply since Ashley was already here.

"So? What is that you wanna talk about?" I asked softly as I sat next to her on the couch, in my room. I offered her some cookies and milk but she didn't touch any of it. I came to a conclusion that it has to be a not-so-happy topic in her mind which is about to make its way out through her mouth any time soon.

She looked down at her lap and fiddled with her fingers.

"I've a mate." She said still looking down at her palms. Before I could express my newfound joy of knowing that she has got her mate, she continued, cutting me off, "But he doesn't want me." She dropped a bomb.

I couldn't keep quiet anymore, "Whaaaat?" I kinda yelled and that made Ashley to look up at me, finally but with tear stained cheeks. Oh! Poor girl.

"But why?" I asked, turning in the couch completely to face her.

"Because, because I'm a human and he's ashamed of having a human as his mate." She croaked out in a cracky voice.

I gasped. I mean, I knew that she was a human but that asshole rejecting her for that was so shocking. C'mon she's alpha's daughter. This is so mean and unfair. I don't have words to describe this heart aching situation.

"Did he reject you?" I asked, placing my hand on her shoulder.

"No. For rejection, you gotta meet the head alpha or the alpha and make them break the bond. So, he just left it as such and moved on with his normal life while my life became horrible." She looked up at me with fresh tears flowing down her cheeks. I couldn't watch her like this. I hugged her and rubbed her back since she started weeping badly.

I started crying too. I can't see my friends or anyone who's too close to me cry like this.

I pulled back and wiped her eyes after wiping my eyes.

"Who's your mate?" I asked.

She hesitated for few seconds before opening her mouth.

"Austin."

What the potatoes? Austin???? No wonder she looked at me like that the other day, all broken and sad as hell when Austin happened to drop me off at school.

I rummaged my brain for awhile and immediately an evil plan formed in my head. With this plan, I could actually score two marshmallows with one shot. I snickered in my head.

"What's so funny?" Ashley asked, looking at me skeptically.

Oops! I think I laughed out loud.

"I know what exactly to do. But I want you to co- operate with me." I told her getting into the instructors tone. Hehe.

She agreed after thinking over it. Austin boy, you're so dead.