43 Remember (Part II)

***A/N: Unedited, let me know if there're any mistakes***

Marie (Anouchka) POV

Seeing her cousin again had been somewhat reassuring for Marie. Ever since she'd received word from her cousin being mated to Daniel Jaxon she had been worried that Alice was going to be in trouble or possibly even changed like Marie had been, and that was a pain she never wished on anybody.

"Thank you for allowing me to stay Daniel," Marie addressed the Alpha who sat on the other side of the table from her next to Alice.

Daniel simply nodded to her in approval, "Family of my mate is welcome in our home."

Marie watched him smile at Alice and some of her fears over her cousin's welfare were put to rest. There were many aspects of the relationship between the two that had all of her warning bells going off, but at the same time, it was clear that he loved her cousin very dearly.

But the whole business of this witch didn't sit well with Marie.

Nothing good ever came with dealing with magic of any kind, and she was worried about her cousin getting caught in the Jaxon brother's mess. That's how it always worked in the end, the cruelest type of punishment was always when it fell on someone else because of you. Guilt and regret were sometimes as harmful as any type of physical wound.

"Darling," Daniel pulled away from Alice, "I must leave you now. I have... somewhere I must be."

Marie didn't need to be a mind reader to realize that Daniel was going to see the witch. There was something in the way Daniel's somewhat playful attitude that went darker, and how Alice nodded with a smile that seemed only for pretences as it didn't meet her eyes.

Marie heard Daniel leaving the house and she watched her cousin get a heavy look across her face. Marie leaned closer to Alice so that their conversation could be kept quiet as she asked, "How often does he see her?"

"Often enough."

Nothing about any of this was good, Alpha Daniel was playing with fire here and it seemed very soon people were about to get burnt.

Marie's senses were suddenly clouded by a sharp, strong smell. It was a dark, foul smell that was a cross between decay and burning ash. It was a smell that she was strongly assaulted with as a changed wolf, not born, her senses were automatically so much stronger and it was this very distinct smell of a witch that made her almost want to gag.

Surely Daniel wasn't stupid enough to bring the witch onto the pack lands.

As the smell came closer towards her Marie clamped her hand over her mouth in an attempt to keep herself from gagging. It really was such a horribly awful smell she couldn't understand how the born wolves were so immune to it.

But instead of a witch entering the room like her nose was hinting to her, it was a man. One who had the same dark hair and dark eyes, there was a striking similarity between this man and Daniel. And if that wasn't enough to clue her in, then the way Alice lurched up out of her seat to embrace him was most definitely a confirmation as to who this person was.

"Thomas! Let me introduce you to my cousin Marie."

His eyes looked over to her at Marie was thrown off by the intensity of his gaze. All at once her sharp senses detected something else laying beneath the surface of that horrible witch scent something far more appealing and alluring... being a changed wolf she'd never been sure if she would ever get a mate or not, yet here he was standing before her incredibly handsome and completely covered head to the toe in the scent of a witch.