17 FamilySecret (Part II)

Jane stared at her phone going over the pro's and con's of calling her family and telling them what happened to her. She knew she probably should, after all they were her family but she didn't feel right about it.  

Her whole life her parents had grown up in a bubble of naivety. Their biggest issue was that they had forgotten to buy more butter, or they hadn't made enough food. Never was it anything too serious. When her brother sprained his arm all those years ago her mother cried for three hours straight and the rest of her family were a complete mess. That was a sprained arm imagine how they would react to learn that their daughter broke her spine?! 

But she should still tell them.  

Thirty percent chance of survival wasn't very reassuring but it's all she had. 

Going through her contact list she found her brother and held her phone close to her ear as she waited for Peter to pick up. 

When he did she shocked herself by how emotional she suddenly became at hearing her brother's voice.  

Would this be the last time she ever heard it?  

"Earth to Jane? Are you butt dialling me right now?" 

"Ha. Ha." she sarcastically joked trying not to sound like she'd just lost everything. But her brother had some annoying trait that he always knew what was up with her. And she wasn't really all that surprised to hear him ask, "Alright who did it? Where do they live? And did you tell them I know karate?" 

"You went to three lessons then quit." 

"Still counts, now are you going to tell me what's wrong?" 

Was she going to tell him?  

In the background she could hear her parents and her older sister arguing over which pastry brand was the best to use for pie crust, how could she willingly shatter their happiness? Easy. She couldn't. 

"Nothing's wrong, I just... wanted to call, see how everyone's doing. From the sounds of it Wendy is driving everyone crazy as per normal." She let a laugh past her lips, just the thought of her family made her feel ten times better about her crappy situation. She settled on having a relaxed conversation with her brother. She spoke to her parents also, even Wendy got in a word or two.  

By the time she'd hung up, she felt better about calling them and was in a way glad she didn't tell them the truth. Hopefully she'd never have to, if things go well, she'll wake up from the surgery in a few days and be completely fine and all this would be for nothing.  

Hearing a knock at her door she looked up and was surprised to see her mate. She hadn't seen Levi ever since her first night here. He looked different. He looked like he hadn't been sleeping very well and she felt pleased that he was feeling guilty over this. He should be. 

"What now?" She sighed, not in the mood for anymore for his hot and cold crap.  

He rubbed a hand over his face as though he was stressed, "Doctor told me you're choosing the surgery. It's a little risky don't you think?" 

She shrugged, "I can't live my life like this." 

"How did I know you would say that?" 

"You don't know me at all." 

He let out a short life, "You're right. You don't know anything about me either, but I think it's time you learn the truth." 

"About what?" She perked up, suddenly a little excited. Levi was a pretty closed off, enigmatic guy. She was always pretty curious when it came to learning things about him.