40 Date

During their outbreak of spontaneity, Jane and Levi, had ignored the fact that after 8 pm the city of Rome was practically dead.

Save for a few bars here and there every single thing in the city was closed. But it seemed the pair had taken to the challenge of the now desolate city, roaming here and there to find something opened late enough that would sell them authentic Italian gelato.

Well it was an all-night gas station and it may have not been authentic but they served ice-cream. Jane had also spotted a lamp-lit street bench amidst the quieted city that seemed good enough for their date. It wasn't the most romantic of dates, but Jane was undeniably content. For the first time in what felt like forever she was, somewhat happy. She could finally act like every other she wolf who'd met their mate and she could just be with him.

While she was here she didn't have to think about dying because of the insane curse that was put on Levi's family.

She didn't have to think about her insane, murderous mother, Clare, coming back from the dead.

She didn't have to think about the fact that Levi was trying to sacrifice himself in order for her not to get killed.

And she certainly didn't have to think about the fact that Levi was betrothed to his twin brother's mate – Anouchka Erin Bennett.

Jane laughed, unable to help herself as she muttered aloud, "Our lives are seriously messed up."

"Someone's caught on a little late," he teased harmlessly.

Levi shot her a playful smile, the force of it shaking her knees and she found herself glad to be sitting. It really was such a shame that every aspect of her life seemed to pulling her away from him because he was the most gorgeous boy she'd ever met and probably ever would. No matter what the outcome would be of their trip to Europe, if she lived or died, she was pretty sure there would never be another person who made her feel the way her mate did.

"Stop thinking so hard," Levi commanded of her, "I can tell by the look on your face that you're thinking about everything that's wrong with our lives and I'm banning you from thinking such things."

"Banning me huh?" Jane asked innocently as she took another bite out of her ice-cream. The flavour was absolutely incredible a sweet, creamy vanilla with butterscotch and honeycomb.

Levi nodded, "Tonight we're going to ignore all the really crappy stuff that's going on in our lives. Just for one night I don't want to have to worry about the curse."

"Agreed."

The more her ice-cream melted, the more Jane could begin to feel the struggle of not spilling it. She wasn't normally such a messy eater, but she couldn't concentrate properly with her mate smiling over at her like that. Suddenly, Levi's smile grew wider and he leaned in close to her.

Shocked, she held her breath as the smirking boy became merely inches from her face. Levi's thumb gently grazed against her bottom lip, his intense gaze holding her own as he drew back slightly and placed his thumb past his lips. She could feel her heart trying to run out of her chest as she watched him breathlessly.

Levi feigned an innocent expression to her reaction, "You had ice-cream on your lip Jane."

Jane nodded, not sure she could speak coherently at the moment. She felt as though she melted almost every time that Levi said her name. It was incredible how much he affected her.