Chapter 10 : Hanna

Hanna

I had absolutely no idea where Bella went. I needed her advice on how I looked. Not that I wanted to look special for Ron, but what if I saw Draco there? I wanted to look my best. Maybe he would tell a secret or two if I look my best…that’s if I can get him alone. I doubt he’d go though. Slughorn doesn’t like him well enough to invite him anywhere.

 I sighed before just deciding that I looked okay enough to go with Ron. I really didn’t have to look that good for him. I smiled as I came down the steps and into the common room. He was waiting for me in his dress robes, which were better than the ones from fourth year. He looked rather…dashing. It was definitely a change from his normal wear.

“Hey,” he said all flustered. “You look great.”

I shrugged. “Thanks. We should probably head down.”

It felt weird to be with Ron outside of the classroom. I mean, I had never done anything social with Ron before, so it was quite new to me. I knew that he liked me as well, so I would have to be very careful about what I said and did. It was going to be such a challenge. Well, there was nothing I could do about it then. I had already agreed to go with him might as well tough it out.

“There’s Harry,” Ron pointed out as we headed down the hallway that lead to the Dungeons. “Who is he with?”

I smiled because I automatically recognized Luna. “Aww, she looks so pretty. That’s sweet that Harry asked her to go.”

“I guess that’s one way to put it,” Ron mumbled under his breath, and I hit him in the chest.

“Hi,” I said as we approached them. “You look nice, Luna.”

She smiled sweetly. “Why thank you, Hanna. You look nice as well.”

“You really,” Harry gulped, which made me smile, “do.”

“Well, I’ll just take my date inside then,” Ron said, sneaking an arm around my waist. “See you inside, mate,” he added over his shoulder and ushered me inside.

I sighed. Ron was jealous that his best mate thought I looked good. Well, he needed to get over himself. There were even more inside the party. After Slughorn greeted us at the door, Ron ushered me over to the corner. I rolled my eyes.

“We’re going to have a right good time, Hanna. I promise,” he said, looking everywhere but at me. “So, do you want something to drink? I’ll be right back,” and with that he was gone.

I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. Looking around the room, I realized that I probably wasted time trying to look nice. Draco wasn’t going to be there. I had raised my hopes up too much. I don’t know what for. It’s not like we were going to get back together if he saw me in a dress. It was way too much to wish for. He didn’t want me anymore. He didn’t love me anymore. It was as simple as that.

“Hey!”

I smiled as Bella came over and pulled me into a tight hug. She looked really nice and seemed really happy. I couldn’t help but wonder what had happened. I knew she would fill me in as soon as she could get the chance, but she didn’t have to. The answer was standing right behind her. Blaise had agreed to attend the party with her after all. That was…unexpected.

“Hey, Blaise,” I said as soon as she let me go. “Long time, no see.”

He nodded. “It really has,” he agreed, entwining his fingers with Bella’s. “Much too long.”

I opened my mouth to ask what exactly was going on, but Ron came over with our drinks. “Hey, Bella,” he then sort of did this weird nod with his head that kind of looked like a spasm, “Blaise,” he then focused on me. “You’ll never believe who Hermione is here with. McLaggin. Can you believe that? I thought she hated the bloody git. I know I do, especially right now.”

I quickly gulped down  my punch before handing it back to him. “Need another one. Gosh, I am so thirsty. You don’t mind, do you?” I asked as he took my drained cup from me and shook his head. “He is getting on my last nerve,” I said when the coast was clear.

Bella smirked. “That’s because he’s not the one you wanted to come with.”

“Isn’t that the truth,” I then looked over at Blaise. “How’s he doing?”

He shrugged. “I personally don’t know. He’s been keeping to himself pretty much.”

I nodded. “Oh, okay.”

“Don’t stay hung up on him, Hanna. I know it hasn’t been that long, but you really do need to just move on,” Blaise added when my gaze fell to the floor. “He’s never going to come back to you, at least not while he’s still in Hogwarts. Ron seems…okay for you.”

My head snapped back up to look at him oddly. “Ron isn’t the one for me, and he never will be. I came here with him in hopes that Draco would show up and be jealous. I have hope that I will at least get an answer from him. I need to know why. I don’t know if I believe his whole story that I’m not the one to be trusted since I’m muggleborn.”

“Just trust me, okay?” Blaise said before leading Bella off to dance.

I sighed as Ron returned but with no drinks. “Hey, do you want to dance?”

I shrugged. “Sure. Why not?”

He took my hand just as a slow song came on. He pulled me a little too close, but I didn’t really care. I just wanted to get the dance over with. I just wanted to get the night over with. I should’ve never agreed to go on the date with Ron. I mean, I just got out of a relationship. He was still in one as far as I knew. What was I even doing?

“Look at that,” Ron nodded over towards Hermione standing with Cormack over in the corner where we were just at. “I still can’t bloody believed that she came with him. This is absurd. I hate that guy.”

“Ron?” I asked, finally getting the real reason he asked me to the party. “Are you just trying to make Hermione jealous?”

He looked at me, his eyes wide. “Um, is it that obvious?”

I nodded. “It really is. Why didn’t you just tell me? I would’ve been game for it. I mean, she hasn’t been the nicest to me lately, but all things considered, I think you two would make the perfect couple.”

“You really think so?”

I nodded. “Honestly, you two have got it so bad for each other. It’s about time you finally tried to do something about it.”

“Do you think it’s working?” he asked.

I looked over at Hermione, who was alone but shooting daggers in my direction. “I believe that it’s working. I think she might actually say something if we went a bit farther,” I winked.

“What do you mean?”

I rolled my eyes. “Just kiss me, alright?”

He smiled as he finally got what I was saying, even if I did have to tell him. He licked his lips and leaned in. I prepared myself for it. It wasn’t going to be all that great, but it would be better than nothing. It wouldn’t be better than Draco’s. Oh gosh was my thought as his lips were just about to touch mine. I took in a deep breath. This was it. He was going to-

“No!”

Someone had shouted, but it wasn’t Hermione.