Chapter Three: My Crush

We walked home from the Nightly Double, joking at laughing.
    "Hey, Ainsley, ya want a cigarette?" Dally asked.
    "Oh, no, I don't smoke," I said, waving my hand in the air as a dismissive gesture. Dally shrugged, and kept walking.
    "Why don't you like smoking?" Pony asked. How was I supposed to explain that I lived in the twenty-first century, and that it was normally frowned upon when kids under eighteen smoked?
    "Oh, I just don't," I said. Pony nodded, but I don't think the reason was enough for him.
    "Do you like someone?" Johnny asked.
    "What are we playing, twenty questions?" I asked, smirking. I got a few laughs out of that.
    "Just answer the question."
    "Yes, I do like someone."
    "Who?"
    "Do you really expect me to tell you?" I asked. Johnny sighed and watched his feet. I didn't want to tell him just yet that I like him. Also, wouldn't that be weird? A fourteen year old liking sixteen year old? That just doesn't happen. Sighing, I jammed my hands into my pockets.
    We arrived back at the Curtis house a few minutes later. Two-Bit ran in, screaming that Mickey Mouse would be on. I just sat on the couch and Johnny sat next to me.
    "Would you tell me if we were alone?" He whispered into my ear.
    "Sure," I said. Why did I say that? Did I really think Johnny would like me back? I got up, and Johnny followed me outside. I sat on the porch steps, and Johnny sat next to me.
    "So, who do you like?" He asked.
    "You," I said. He blushed.
    "What would you do if I told you I liked you back?"
    "Well do you like me back?"
    "Sure do."
    "Then I'd do this," I said, and then I kissed him on the cheek. He grinned, and I found myself grinning too. I heard the door open, and Dally stepped outside. He sat down on the other side of me, and lit a cigarette before putting it in his mouth.
      "What're you two doing out here by yourselves?" He asked.
     "Nothing," I said. Dally leaned close.
     "Are you suuuurreee?" He asked. I smiled.
    "Very suuuurreee," I said. Dally smiled.
    "Oh, and by the way, the gang has now taken an interest in your relationship," Dally said. I felt my face grow hot. I looked back at the house, and saw Two-Bit, Pony, and Soda standing there, smiling. I sighed.
     "Great," I mumbled. Two-Bit leaned over my shoulder.
     "Miss, how would you rate your relationship with Johnny?" He asked.
     "Darry!" I yelled. "They're bullying me!" Darry walked out onto the porch.
      "Don't bully her," he said. Two-Bit groaned. I smiled.
      "Thanks Darry," I said. Darry smiled at me, and I walked inside, leaving the boys behind.
It was around ten o' clock at night. Darry had told me to sleep in Soda's bed, and that Soda would sleep on the couch until he could find me a real bed.  I simply hugged and thanked him. He had hugged me back and told me he was glad I was staying with them. Dally was gone at the thrift store getting me some changes of clothes. I loved these boys. I truly, honestly loved them like bothers. I sat on the couch waiting for Dally, Pony next to me. We were playing cards. He was teaching me how to play "Crazy Eights". I then heard the door open, and Dally walked in. He handed me a a bag. Inside were four t-shirts, three pairs of jeans, and to my awkwardness, a bra and a pair of underwear. Dally laughed at my red face. He ruffled my hair.
"Don't worry. I won't tell no one, kid," he said. I smiled up at him, and for just that instant, he seemed like a caring older brother. But in the next moment, he went back to being regular Dally. I got up and hid my clothes under Soda's bed. Since tomorrow was a Saturday, Darry was gonna go get me a bed. I sighed, and flopped down on Soda's bed. I missed my best friend, Monroe. She and I hung out pretty much every day, and we had gotten to be close like twins. My dad had died a long time ago, and my mother and I had become really close. I missed her as well. I clenched my fists and wiped a tear off of my cheek. Pony then came in, wearing his pajamas. I took of my shoes and jacket. I undid my hair and took off my headband. Pony turned off the light, and I fell asleep.
I awoke in the morning to the smell of something chocolaty. I got out of bed and took a shirt, pair of jeans, and the underwear. I was gonna wear my bra for another day. I changed into the shirt, which was purple and had a unicorn on it. I laughed when I saw it in the mirror. I slipped on the jeans, which were really tight and for some reason, made my butt look big. Classic Dally. I braided my hair and put on my jacket. I put my clothes under the bed, and walked out it find Pony sitting at the table eating chocolate cake with Soda and Dally.
"Darry's off getting you some stuff. he likes you a lot. He thinks you're a good influence," Soda said. I then realized I was blushing.
"Alright then," I said, grabbing a piece of chocolate cake. Pony smiled at me as I sat next to him.
"Hey, Ainsley, Johnny's comin' over later," Dally smirked at me.
"Shut up, Dally," Pony said. I grinned at him, and continued to eat my chocolate cake