Chapter Four: Monroe

"Lucky for you, Spring break is this week," Pony said, waving his fork in the air in celebration of Spring break. I smiled.
     "All the more time for Dally to make fun of me," I groaned.
     "Hey, that's not all I do," he complained. "At least give me credit for interrupting your little talk with Johnny."
      "Fine," I said. He smiled at me, and I smiled back. Johnny then walked in, and I realized I was blushing. I stared at my piece of cake. Did he really, truly like me back? Or was this a horrid prank planned by Dallas? Johnny placed a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up at him into his loving eyes. I knew, in that instant, that Johnny really, truly liked me. It wasn't just some cruel prank to mess with my emotions. I then heard a scream coming from outside. I jumped up, and ran outside, despite the calls from Johnny to stay inside because it's safer in there. I found Monroe being jumped by Socs. I ran inside and stole Dally's switch blade, which laid on the table. I ran back outside and attacked one of the Socs.
    "Get away from her," I hissed. The Soc was obviously drunk. Dally, Soda, and Johnny ran outside to help. Once we had driven them away, Monroe stood up and hugged me tight. We stayed like that for a while, healing each others' wounds from the jumps.
    "I can't believe you're here," I whispered into her ear.
    "I can't believe we're in The Outsiders!" She said. I laughed, and let her go. She stared at Dally like she had seen an angel. Well, a rebellious, mischievous angel. He grinned at her, and wrapped his arm around her.
    "Your friends are good lookin', Ainsley," he remarked.
    "They sure are," I said, glancing at Johnny. I guess he saw that my eyes were on him, because he blushed. Monroe, who I called Mo, had long, light brown hair. She had hazel eyes. They only difference between us was that my hair was a bit darker and had pink tips, she was a tiny bit taller, and my eyes were brown-grey. We could definitely be sisters if it went by looks. Mo was blushing. I had remembered she had a crush on Dally. She playfully pushed him off of her.
    "I ain't no broad," she said, smirking.
    "You don't seem like a broad," Dally said. "You seem like a bad girl looking for a bad guy," he said. I saw her grin.
    "Mo, this is Johnny, Soda, Dally, and Pony," I said, pointing at them respectively. Pony had just rushed outside.
    "I'm Monroe," she said. I smiled at her.
    "She's my best friend," I said. Mo smiled at me.
    "You got a place to stay?" Dally asked, placing a hand on the small of Mo's back.
    "Nope," she said.
    "You can stay with me," he said. I swear I could see fireworks going off in her eyes. She smiled.
    "I'd love that," she said. Dallas then led her off towards his place. Johnny grabbed my hand, and I saw that Pony and Soda were going back inside.
    "Wanna hang out for a bit?" He asked.
    "You know I do," I said. Johnny and I walked hand-in-hand towards the park. I ended up tagging him, and we had a full-fledged game of tag. I was laughing like a six-year-old. He then grabbed my arm, sending me tumbling, which sent him tumbling. I grinned at I landed next to him. He held May hand as we stared up at the blue sky. Johnny then turned to me, and I turned to him, and our lips met. I enjoyed every second that our lips were in contact. The kiss ended way too soon. Johnny grinned at me, and I grinned back at him. He ran a hand through his think, dark hair.
    "I get it if you think I'm too old for you, I understand," he said. I had wished and prayed my whole life to meet him, and even kiss him.
    "No way. I'm in love with you Johnny. Age doesn't matter at this point," I said. Johnny then kissed me again. I smiled, and he got up. Johnny helped me up, and we headed back towards the Curtis house. About halfway there, I kissed Johnny again. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders to signify that I was his. And that he was mine.