Chapter Twenty-Five: The Decision

"Yeah," I said slowly. "We're going back."
     "You can't!" Mom yelled. "Do you know how stressful it's been looking for you and calling around and everything?"
     "I do know! And I've been through some crappy stuff with the gang, but I realized they always have my back, no matter where I am," I said. "And I need them. They are my family."
      "No. I am you family," mom said. Johnny stepped forward and put an arm around me.
      "Mrs. Cameron, Ainsley is more than the gang's friend. She's Pony's adoptive sister. Same with Darry and Soda. They help her. They love her. They protect her. If she left for good...," Johnny said, trailing off. "Let's just say things would be bad. The same goes for Monroe." Mom folded her arms.
     "I know how you feel, Ainsley. I'll...ill give you tonight. I'll let you decide," Mom said. I nodded. "You three must be tired. Johnny, you can sleep in the guest room and Mo and Ainsley can sleep in her room." I nodded and we walked upstairs.
     "You don't have to go to bed now," I said to them. "We can hang out for a bit. I'm not ready for sleep yet."
     "Me neither," they both said. I led them to my room and I sat on the bed. Johnny and Mo did the same.
      "Can I tell you two something?" Mo asked. I nodded.
      "You know you can always tell me anything," I said. Mo nodded.
      "You can't tell anyone," she said. "I....I like Ponyboy." I grinned and punched her arm playfully.
       "I knew it!" I said. Johnny laughed. Mo grinned and punched me back.
      The three of us ended up talking about all the things we had done together, including the gang. We laughed and grinned. Eventually, at about two in the morning, we fell asleep.
        When we woke up, I found I was wrapped in Johnny's arms. I snuggled into him and just laid there for a while.
      "You up?" He whispered in my ear.
     "Yeah," I muttered. He nodded and then we shook Mo awake.
      The three of us walked downstairs. Dad was sitting at the table and stared at us when we walked down stairs.
     "Mom," I said, turning to my mom who was making waffles for herself. "I've made my decision.
      "And?" Mom said, her voice wavering.
      "I'm leaving," I said. She ran and hugged me.
      "Are you sure?" She asked.
     "I am," I said. "I need the gang more than I need water. More than I need air. And I know Johnny does, too. Same with Mo. And I know Johnny would go back, no matter what."
     "I wouldn't leave you," he said, putting a hand on my shoulder. I ignored him.
      "And I go wherever Johnny goes," I said. 
      "Are you two...dating?" My dad asked. I nodded, my face beginning to burn. Mom smiled sadly.
      "All right. I want you to be happy, and I know that the gang makes you happy," she said. I hugged her again and Mo retrieved the book. She opened it and I held Johnny's hand. Mo placed a hand on Johnny's shoulder. Johnny kissed me on the cheek and then placed his hand on the book. Everything faded into white.