Chapter Two: Steve and Johnny

I sat on the couch that was in the Curtis's living room, eating some of Soda's famous chocolate cake. Mickey Mouse was on, and Two-Bit was sucked into it. Then I heard the door open, and Johnny and Steve walked in. I was also in love with Johnny, and so that might be a bit of a problem.
    "Who's she?" Steve called out to Soda.
    "Ainsley," Soda said. Steve nodded, and sat next to me. He eyed me, and made a move to put his arm around me.
    "Soda! Steve is molesting me!" I cried out. Soda rushed in and Steve's face went red as he removed his arm. I laughed and so did Soda. Johnny sat next to me. I grinned at him, and he went red.
      "Y'all ready for dinner?" Soda called from the kitchen.
      "Yeah," Johnny called back. Soda brought out a couple plates and handed on to me and went back to the kitchen for the rest. Dally, Darry, and Pony walked in. I nodded at them, and continued to watch Mickey Mouse. After I was done eating, I put the plate in the kitchen sink.
"Wanna come to the Nightly Double Drive In with us tonight?" Dally asked. I grinned.
"Sure," I said. Dally smiled and walked off to harass one of the gang members. Pony walked in and out his plate in the sink.
"Hey, Ainsley? Wanna go to the park with me?" Pony asked. I smiled and nodded. Pony smiled back and followed me out the door.
Pony and I sat on the swings. We had been joking and laughing for half an hour now. Then fountain where the Socs would eventually try to drown Pony in sat only seven feet away.
"So, what is it you like to do?" He asked.
"Reading, writing, running," I said. "Oh, and watching sunsets." I smiled at the end because I knew, from reading The Outsiders, that Pony loved watching sunsets. Pony blushed.
         "Me too," he said. I wanted to say that I knew, but of course then he would either think I was weird or that I was completely insane. Which I probably was, according to the fact I was now hanging out with Ponyboy Curtis.
    "Do you like anyone, Ponyboy?" I asked. Pony's face went tomato-red.
    "I guess so," he mumbled. "But she'd never like me." I was curious. Was he talking about me or Cherry?
    "Who?" I asked.
    "This girl who lives down my street. Her name is Sydney," he said quietly. That made tears spring to my eyes. The boy I had obsessed over for two years didn't like me.
    "Oh," I mumbled. "What's she like?"
    "Pretty, smart, and different. Different in that way that she's different from Greasers, but not like any Soc either." He replied. I nodded. I still had Johnny.
    We crawled under the fence and into the Nightly Double. Lots of cars were here, and I saw a lot of Socs. I huddled close to Dally.
    "You scared of the Socs?" He whispered.
    "A bit," I said. He chuckled and placed a protective hand on my shoulder. I guess that made me feel more secure. We walked until we found a good row of seats, of which were behind Cherry and Marcia. I sat in between Johnny and Pony. I noticed a scary-ish movie was starting. I had seen it before with my mother. She really liked it for sane reason, even though it had come out like seventeen years before she was born. Soon the scariest part came on the screen, and I reached for Johnny's hand. He seemed to subconsciously squeeze my hand when the girl on the screen screamed. I then noticed Dally was starting to harass the Soc girls. I had actually like both Cherry and Marcia. They were nice Socs, different from the rest.
    "Dally, stop harassing them. They've done nothin' to you," I scolded. He looked at me and smirked.
    "Free country," he remarked.
    "Your mom's a free country," I mumbled.
    "My mom don't care about jack," he retorted. I laughed along with him. Then he started harassing the girls again.
    "I'm serious, Dally. Stop it," I said. Cherry turned around and looked at me. He continued, and got up and sat next to Cherry. I turned back and smirked at him.
    "Why'd you do that?" He asked.
    "Free country," I replied. Cherry and Marcia giggled a bit.
    "Say, you're not like the other Greaser girls," Cherry whispered into my ear.
    "Never have been, never will be," I told her. She smiled and nodded.
    "What's your name? I'm Cherry."
    "I'm Ainsley."
    "I also haven't seen you around here before. Are you new?"   
    "Yep. Ran away from home 'cuz my folks up in Salina, Kansas don't treat me too well," I lied. She nodded.
    "You like someone?"
    "Why do you ask?"
    "Just curious, I guess."
    "Yeah. But I don't think he likes me back."
    "Who is it?" She asked.
    "Johnny Cade. He's sitting right there," I said, subtly pointing to Johnny.
    "Hey, Johnny!" Cherry said.
    "No!" I hissed at her.
    Cherry laughed. "Ainsley likes you!" I felt my face go red. His did the same. I locked eyes with Johnny, and looked down.
    "Cherry!" I hissed. She laughed, and soon I was laughing too. Who knew I would be friends with a Soc?