Chapter One: The Outsiders

I strolled along, just waiting for Mom to pick me up. She was usually a bit late. My house wasn't far, so I decided to call and let her know that I'd walk.
      After I had called, I kept walking. My backpack was slung over one shoulder. I wore a navy-blue leather jacket, grey tennis shoes, black pants, and a grey headband. My hair was braided, the pink ends blending perfectly with the plain brown. I carried my favorite book under one arm. It was The Outsiders. I had loved the book for about two years now, and had gotten my own copy when I had turned fourteen. I was now rereading it for the twentieth time. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a van slowly come towards me. I picked up my pace, and the van followed suit. I frantically looked around for someone to help me in case the van held mean people. Then the van's window rolled down. A man who's facial hair was an extreme form of stubble looked at me mischievously.
      "Hey, little girl. How would you like some more books? I have some in the back," he said. I shook my head and began to run. The van kept following me. I kept running. Then the van stopped. The man got out and began running after me. Since I was carrying a heavy book bag, it didn't take him long to quickly reach me. He placed a hand in my shoulder and I stumbled and fell. I gripped The Outsiders tightly. Then everything went white.
      My vision wasn't white for long. I opened my eyes to find I wasn't in the same place. I still had my book bag and my copy of The Outsiders. I got up and dusted myself off. Where was I? To get my bearings, I decided to walk a bit to see where I was. I put my bag back on and began walking down the sidewalk. Then I saw a building that looked very much like the Curtis house. I stared at it for a while. As I was staring, I didn't notice the red Mustang creeping along beside me.
      "Hey hot stuff, whatcha doin all by your self?" A boy asked. He and three others got out of the Mustang. He looked drunk, as did all the other boys. I panicked. Dropping my bag, I prepared myself for a fight. They laughed and got out knives which looked like switchblades. The boys formed a circle around me. Then they lunged, pinning me to the ground.
        "Imma cut that pink right out of your hair," the main one said, his speech slightly slurred. Then another slashed me on my cheek.
        "Help!" I screamed, on the verge of tears. "Anyone! Help me!" Then I saw out of the corner of my eye four people running towards me. Then one of the people threw the guy off of me. When I saw him, my heart did a doubletake. It was Two-Bit!!! Wait a sec. Did that mean I was in The Outsiders? I saw Darry, Sodapop, and Dally standing by Two-Bit. I grinned as Dally helped me up.
       "What's a tuff-lookin' girl like you doin over here?" He asked. My heart pounded. I have wished and dreamt that someday I'd meet these guys.
"Oh, I uh, I ran away from home and ended up here. My folks up in Salina, Kansas aren't that nice," I lied.
"I know a bit about that sort of thing," he smirked. "What's your name, anyway?"
"Oh, um," I began. I was really flustered since I was meeting my favorite people in the whole world. "I'm Ainsley." They all smiled.
    "So do you got a place to stay?" Darry asked. I looked down at my feet. I didn't know how I was gonna get home. How was I supposed to explain that I actually teleported here through some sort of crazy magic while touching a book about them? They'd think I'd either had too much to drink or I was on drugs. Darry patted me on my shoulder.
    "You're welcome to stay with me and my brothers. This one's Sodapop, but we call him Soda," Darry said, patting Soda on the back. "And my youngest brother, Ponyboy is at the cinema. He should be back soon." Wait. Pony was at the cinema?! That meant he was about to get jumped.
    "Oh, no! Ponyboy!" I shouted, running off toward where I had briefly glimpsed the cinema. I soon got there and saw the Socs getting out of their Mustang.
    "Pony!" I shouted. He looked at me. Just as the first Soc was about to lunge at him and hurt him with his blade, I stepped in between him and Ponyboy. I caught the Soc by the wrist, and his blade dug into my palm. He glared at me.
    "Leave. Pony. Alone," I growled. I had spent the two years after reading the book wanting Ponyboy to be real so I could date him. I was not gonna let some Socs hurt him.
    "Get her offa me," the Soc hissed. Two out of his three cronies tried to pry me off of him. I wrenched the Soc's wrist back, and he howled in pain. I then saw Soda, Dally, Darry, and Two-Bit running towards me.
    "We got it from here, kid," Dally said, socking the Soc I the face. I smiled and stepped back. Pony looked at me, his mouth agape.
    "Who're you? Why'd you save me?" He asked. I shrugged.
    "Honestly? I ran away two weeks ago, just got jumped, had your brothers and friends save me, and I just saw you getting jumped. I hate to see anyone get hurt," I said. "The name's Ainsley." He smiled at me. I then saw the Socs jump in their car and drive off. Dally, Darry, Soda, and Two-Bit ran over to Pony and I.
    "Pony, this is Ainsley. We found some Socs jumpin' her, and she's got no place to stay, so she's gonna stay with us," Darry said. Pony nodded.
    "How old are you?" Soda asked.
    "Fourteen," I said. He smiled at me. He then grabbed my hand and turned it over to look at my palm. I hadn't noticed the deep gash the Soc had given me.
    "She's got a wound here and on her face," Soda remarked. "We need to get her cleaned up." Darry nodded, and we began walking back to the Curtis house. I was grinning like a fool. Somehow my dreams had come true. I was meeting and staying with The Outsiders characters!