Chapter 46

AMBER’S POV

A few days later...

It had been four days since my mom and Emery’s uncle made the announcement that they were going to enter a relationship with each other. Of course my mom was adamant that I break up with Emery but I had no plans to. She was making it difficult for us to see each other though.

First off I was grounded for my outburst to her for being ‘disrespectful’. I didn’t have my phone and my mom took me to school in the morning. She showed up every day to after school to drive me home. She had Mrs. Hirsch watch our house like a hawk as well.

She even told me I couldn’t go to Emery’s game tomorrow. She was overreacting! Couldn’t she see this was affecting our relationship?

I was torn from my thoughts as the final bell rang for the day. I met up with Shannon as we walked to our lockers.

“When is your mom taking you off lock down?” she asked as we prepared to go home.

I shrugged. “I just can’t believe she’s acting like this. Can you believe she’s making us move?”

Oh yeah, Mitch somehow convinced my mom to move...to Alabama! She told me she would let me finish out my junior year but during the summer we would be moving.

Shannon rubs my back. “Don’t worry, things will get better.”

I sniff back tears and Shannon whispers to me that Emery just entered the junior hall. I look in his direction and he has a sad smile on his face. He approaches me and stops a few inches from me.

“Hey.” he whispers.

“I’ll leave you two alone.” Shannon states and I watch her head over to Garrett.

I return my gaze to Emery and I can’t help myself as I pull him to me and wrap my arms around his neck. I feel his arms encase me and he hugs me so tight.

I feel his lips slightly graze my neck. I missed him and I told him so.

“I miss you too but this is just a hump we’ll have to get over.” he whispers.

I was having an internal debate as to whether tell Emery about my mom wanting to move. I was pretty sure he would find out from his uncle anyway so it’d be better to hear it from me.

I pull back from him to give him the news. “Over the summer my mom and I are moving to Alabama.” I tell him without even looking into his face.

I feel his fingers underneath my chin. He lifts my head and moves his in my direct line of sight so I have no choice but to look at him.

“Just bide your time baby. Pretty soon we’ll be together in college and there won’t be anything your mom or Mitch can do or say that will keep us apart.”

I give him a small smile and nod at his voice of reason. He pushes his head to mine and our lips connect.

“Do you think you can sneak out the house later tonight?” he asks against my lips.

I can’t help but smile as I know what he has on his mind. I tell him I’ll try and tell him to come by around ten tonight but to park across the street. He agrees and Shannon approaches us. She pulls me away from Emery.

“Your mom is outside.” she tells me.

I tell her and Emery good-bye and head outside. I see my mom’s car and head to it. She unlocks the door and I get in the passenger seat.

“How was school?” she asks even though she knows I won’t respond. I’ve been giving her the silent treatment for four days now. She sighs. “Amber, I’m not moving this car until you talk to me.”