Chapter 10

EMERY'S POV

I arrived at home after dropping Amber off. I got out of my car and headed inside. I walked toward the kitchen which was on the other side of the house and I was surprised to see my mom standing in the kitchen. She was on the phone and her back was to me.

"I know this Richard! What are we going to tell Emery?! He's not going to want to move again. He has his girlfriend and he just made the soccer team at his new school. How could we uproot him less than a week after being here?"

What? I know my mom and dad weren't thinking of moving again. No, I actually had reasons to stay here, like my mom told my dad.

"You think throwing money at him will solve this problem? No, he doesn't need a new car! Jesus freakin' Christ Richard, he already has two!"

I scoff at her words and I walk further in the kitchen. I grab my mom's waist which frightens her. She quickly ends the call with my father. I place a kiss on her cheek.

"Hi mom, you're back early. Where's dad?" I ask her acting like I didn't hear her conversation.

She pinches the bridge of her nose. "Uh honey, how long have you been home?"

"I just got in a second ago."

She runs her hand through her thick brown strands of hair. "Ummm, baby your father is in New York. He needs to stay there for six months and he wants us to join him in the next few days."

"We don't have to go." I point out.

My mother jerks her head back at my words. "Of course we have to go. We're a family and we need to stay together."

"Mom, we just moved here less than a week ago. I don't want to move."

"Sweetie, I know you don't want to leave your girlfriend but we don't have a choice."

"But I graduate in four months. And then I head off to college. That's too much moving on my part. Why can't I just stay here until graduation?"

She sighs. "I trust you to be here alone for a few days but a few months? I don't know about that."

"You can always come down on the weekends to check up on me." I smile at her, hoping to seal the deal.

She hesitates but finally nods. "Just let me run this by your father. But don't get your hopes up."

FELIX'S POV

I swing my bookbag on the ground as soon as I enter my home. I curse which brings my mother running from the kitchen.

"Honey, what's wrong? You're home early, shouldn't you be at soccer practice?"

I narrow my eyes at her. "Coach kicked me off the team because of that lying bitch!"

"Watch your mouth son."

I look toward the stairs and see my father descending the stairs. When he reaches the bottom he hands me a set of keys. I knew what they were; keys to the shop he owned.

"I called your coach and told him to kick you off the team. You have a court date on Wednesday and you're going to work off whatever your bail is. I want you to go on down to the shop and stay there 'til closing."

I was appalled. "But dad, she's lying! I didn't do anything and how could you sell me out like that?"

"I don't want to hear another word about this. Now go on!"

I huff as I leave the house and get on my bike. This is fucked up!

AMBER'S POV

I yell to my mom that I'm home as soon as I walk through the door. I go to my room, change my clothes and start on homework while my mom cooks dinner. She calls me when it's done and I join her in the dining room.

"How was school today?" she asks me as we begin eating.

"Fine." I say simply while shoving food in my mouth. "How was work?"

"Fine." she states back while eating.

Good talk, I think to myself. When we're done eating I help my mom clean the kitchen. I call Emery when we're done with that. I flop down on my bed as he answers.

"Hey, just wanted to hear your voice before I go to bed." I tell him.

"Awww! That's sweet. I'll have good dreams tonight knowing you care about me that much." he whispers in a husky voice.

I smile against my phone. "I don't just care about you. I love you."

I feel my heart racing as I wait for him to say the words back. There is silence but I can hear him breathing.

"Emery?"

"Yeah babe?"

"I just said, 'I love you'."

"I know. I just wanted to hear you say it again."

He chuckles and I fight the urge to laugh.

"Amber, I love you too."

I feel my insides explode with happiness. He tells me he'll pick me up in the morning and we end the call. I go to sleep with a smile on my face.

The next morning I wake up feeling on cloud nine. I shower and dress in a cute top, jeans and heels. I pull my hair into a ponytail and join my mom for breakfast.

As soon as I sit down my mom jumps up, telling me she has to go in early for work. She gives me a kiss before leaving the room. I hear the front door open and close. Once I'm done with my breakfast I clean up the kitchen.

Emery arrives on time and blows his horn. I rush outside and he has the passenger door open for me. I give him a kiss before getting into the car. He closes my door and gets behind the wheel.

"My mom and dad are moving to New York for six months." Emery tells me as soon as he pulls away from the curb.

Wait, his parents are moving? He's not going with them?

"My mom is trying to convince my dad to just let me stay here until graduation."

I blow out a sigh of relief. I would be crushed if Emery had to leave me so soon.

We arrive at school and we of course meet up with Shannon and Garrett. Shannon tells me and Emery that she wants the four of us to hang out Sunday, which is Valentine's Day.

We go inside and Emery kisses me before he has to go to his locker. He whispers that he loves me and I say it back.

"You two look so cute together!" Shannon states.

"You look cute with Garrett." I state back.

She just blushes as we gather the things we'll need for first class.

EMERY'S POV

I sat in my first class and look over at the empty seat that is usually occupied by Felix. I wonder what's going on with him. The sound of a voice over the PA system fills the classroom.

"Ms. Jenkins, do you have Emery Nottingham in class today?"

Everyone stares at me as my teacher confirms that I am in attendance.

"He's needed in the front office."

There are a sea of 'ooohs' like I did something wrong. I get up from my seat and leave the classroom. I whistle as I make my way to the front office. Once I walk in, I freeze when I see my mother. She has a sad expression on her face.

"Mom? What are you doing here?"

"Your dad doesn't want you to stay here alone for four months. We're heading to New York tomorrow. I need for you to come home and pack." she tells me while choking on her words a bit.

I feel like my world is crashing down. This cannot be happening. I swallow a lump in my throat.

"Can I at least say good-bye to Amber?"

"You can call her when she gets out. Come on honey." she says and waves for me to follow her out of the building.

This was a joke right? This could not be happening!