Chapter 44

VIVAN’S POV

I sat in the passenger seat of Mitch’s truck wringing my hands together. I looked out the window at the courthouse and dreaded going inside. This would be the first time in two months that I would lay eyes on the man who once held my heart. The man that made me fall in love with him under false pretenses. I couldn’t believe the sick things that had been going on his mind… The thought made me…

I feel hands on mine and I look down to see my hands balled in fists. Mitch’s hands encase mine and he rubs my skin gently.

“Hey, everything is going to be okay.” he whispers to me.

I stare into his handsome face and can’t help but smile as his assuredness of the situation. I unclench my fingers and interlace them with his. I am not shocked when he moves closer to me and places a soft kiss on my lips.

The first time he kissed me, I felt guilty because I knew how much Amber cared about Emery. But she was seventeen! She really didn’t know what love is. I was extremely attracted to Mitch and the feeling was mutual so why not give it a try?

He pulled away from our embrace first and then moved his hands to my face, cupping my chin between his thumb and forefingers.

“When are we going to tell Amber and Emery?” he asks me the same question he asked me last night as we lay in each other’s arms after an intense love making session.

I was surprised Amber didn’t hear us.

“The news would crush her. She loves your nephew.” I tell him.

He sighs. “Yes I know but they’re kids. They’ll get over one another. I love you.”

I smile at his words but then I remember the reason we were sitting in his car outside the courthouse. I gently remove Mitch’s hands from my face but I clutch at his fingers.

“Let’s talk about this later. The hearing starts in five minutes.”

He nods and I release his hands. We get out of his truck and he takes my hand in his as we walk inside the courthouse. We enter the room for the hearing and I see Axel sitting at the defense table with his slime ball of a lawyer.

As I sat down I notice Axel glance over his shoulder at me. He throws me a disgusting sly smile. It fades as he sees Mitch, who sits next to me and turns my attention to him. He places a kiss on my lips and whispers to me that everything would work out for the best.

The prosecuting lawyers sit at their table and a bailiff orders for everyone to stand before introducing the presiding judge. The judge enters and takes their seat. After telling everyone to be seated he begins the hearing.

The hearing lasts three hours with the prosecution presenting their case. Axel’s defense has the audacity to state since there is no evidence (i.e. Amber wasn’t raped) that there was no case against him.