Chapter 34

FRIDAY-ONE WEEK LATER

AMBER’S POV

The week went by quick for me. I was grounded for the week because of the fight and it ended last night. I was happy to be able to spend some time with Shannon outside of school. We made plans to hang out at the mall today and Garrett chauffeured us there.

He made plans to spend some time with his older brother who was coming home for the weekend from college so he dropped us off and told Shannon to call him when we were ready to be picked up. Shannon gave him a kiss before we exited his car and made our way inside.

Shannon and I spent two hours inside the mall; rather I spent two hours watching Shannon spend her daddy’s money on clothes, shoes and make-up. It must be nice having rich parents.

We headed to the food court to grab a bite to eat when Shannon was all shopped out. I got some Chinese food while Shannon ordered a burger and fries. We found an empty table and sat down.

“Are you going to Emery’s game tomorrow?” Shannon asks me as she dips a fry in ketchup.

I sigh and drop my fork. “Toby invited me but I don’t think I should go. It would be too depressing.”

“What’s going on with you and Toby? He’s been sitting with us at lunch and offering to take you home after school.” Shannon inquires as she places her stained fry in her mouth.

“It’s not just him; it’s every guy in school. A few days ago three guys asked me out. I guess since they see I’m single they think they stand a chance.”

“Weird, before you started dating Emery these same guys never said more than two words to you.” Shannon smacks her lips.

I nod. “Tell me about it. Well, Toby's different. I would consider him a friend since he came to all your parties and we hung out and stuff. Speaking of parties; what do your parents have planned for your seventeenth birthday next weekend?”

“Oh yeah. They’re renting out a yacht and I can invite fifty people.”

“Only fifty?” I tease.

She laughs. “Tell me about it. There’s like two hundred kids in our junior class and I am friends with a lot of seniors so this will be a hard decision.”

I laugh while shaking my head. We finish our food and Shannon calls Garrett to come pick us up.

“Do you want to come spend the night at my place?” Shannon asks me as we walk out of the mall.

I give her a suspicious look. “Why would I spend the night at your house? The same house that my ex-boyfriend is staying at?”

She frowns. “Well how about I spend the night at your place then?”

I nod. “That sounds better.”

By the time we make it outside Garrett is waiting for us. We get into his car and Shannon tells Garrett that she’ll be staying at my place tonight.

“You going to Emery’s game tomorrow?” Garrett asks me as he drives us to my house.

I sigh. “Why is everyone so concerned with whether or not I’m going to the game?”

“Well there’s a rumor going around that if you show up to support him that means you still care and the chances are high that you two will get back together.”

I scoff. “I guess I won’t be going then.”

“I hear Noelle is going to be there and will be cheering for him.” Garrett tells me and stares at me through the rearview mirror.