Chapter 32

VIVIAN’S POV

When I got home that night I was surprised that Amber was done with the chores I had assigned her. I did a walk through and was especially impressed with the garage. I called Amber when I returned to the living room.

She came out of the hallway and I head to the couch. I sit down and I wave for her to join me. She sits down next to me.

“So, I’ve been thinking and we should get away this weekend. Just me and you. And during that time I want you to evaluate how the rest of this year will go for you, personally and academically. If you choose to get back together with Emery that is your decision. I will support you all the way but if you make that choice I do not want to hear about any more STDs, fights or anything of that nature. Understand?”

She simply nods when I’m done speaking. I tell her we’ll leave first thing Saturday morning. I also tell her I have a date tomorrow night and I would leave her some money to order take out.

She gets up and goes back into her room after my last words. I blow out a breath before getting up and going into the kitchen to start dinner which takes me a little under an hour. I call Amber out to eat and she joins me in the dining room.

“Where are we going for our get-a-away?” Amber asks me as she moves her food around her plate, barely eating.

“I was thinking of a road trip to Orlando. We could go to Universal Studios.” I tell her.

She nods. “That sounds cool. It’ll be nice to get away for a few days.”

We eat in silence the rest of dinner and Amber cleans the dishes when we’re done. I go into my bedroom and flop down on my bed. Even though it’s barely nine o’clock I am exhausted. I lie down after turning off the light and pull my sheets over my head.

I wake up the next morning around six o’clock. I can faintly hear Amber’s alarm clock going off. I get out of bed and head into my bathroom to shower and dress for the day. Once I am dressed I leave my room and head to Amber’s. I knock softly on the closed door before opening it and sticking my head in.

“Baby, I’ll be heading out in an hour. Breakfast will be in the kitchen and since you’re going to be home all day you can go next door and help Mrs. Hirsch with some chores. Be up by eight.”

She groans very loudly and I tell her she wouldn’t have to do this if she hadn’t gotten suspended. I pull my head back and close her door.

I go into the kitchen and cook a quick breakfast. I eat alone and cover a plate for Amber. I make a quick phone call to Mrs. Hirsch and tell her to expect Amber no later than eight-thirty and to call me immediately if she is even one minute late. I leave my house after ending the call. I head to work and begin another day.

Around four o’clock I get a call from Mitch confirming our date for tonight.

“I am looking forward to seeing you tonight.” he whispers to me.

I giggle like a teenage girl. “I am too. Seven, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll meet you there at seven.”

We end the call and I am all smiles for the last hour of my shift. At five o’clock on the dot I leave the building and head home. I get there half an hour later and call Amber’s name. She doesn’t respond so I assume she’s with Mrs. Hirsch.

I go into the kitchen and place twenty-five dollars on the counter with a note for Amber telling her where I would be for the evening. I then rush into my room and change into a black dinner dress and slip my feet into low heeled sandals. I pull a black cardigan over the spaghetti strapped dress.