Chapter 12

SHANNON’S POV

I hung up with Emery after he asked for the favor. I was shocked that Amber hadn’t called me and told me that he was leaving in the first place. She knew I would’ve been there for her.

I left my room to find my parents. I told Emery I couldn’t promise him anything but I would definitely ask the parentals if he could stay with us ‘til he graduates. I found my mom and dad outside, lounging by the pool reading the morning paper.

I stood before them and did my best to have my puppy dog face ready for battle. “Daddy?”

He looked at me over the edge of his paper. “What is it sweetheart?”

“Okay, so Amber has a boyfriend…”

“Really? Who is she dating?” my mother cut me off as she put down her paper, finding my news more interesting.

“This new guy but his parents have like these businesses all over the United States and his dad is moving them to New York in like four hours and he really doesn’t want to go. His mom said she would totally be cool with him staying here ‘til he graduates but his dad wants him to have some type of parental supervision so would it be all right if he stayed with us? Just until he graduates. I’m sure he’ll be off to college right after.”

I take a deep breath as I lay it out there for him.

“What’s this boy’s name?” my dad asks.

“Emery Nottingham.”

“Nottingham?” my dad repeats his last name and scratches his chin.

I jump back a bit as my dad slams his newspaper on the small side table next to his lounge chair. “He must be related to Victor Nottingham. They own that quality control company. You know the one that makes sure products are safe before going on the market! So, I’ll be hosting his son?”

I perk up. “So, he can stay here?”

My dad nods his head furiously. “You bet. Wait ‘til I tell the guys down at the office about this!”

He excitedly jumps out his chair and rushes inside the house. This is the fastest I’ve ever seen my dad move. I clap my hands as I just helped Emery stay! I rush in the house behind my dad so I can tell Emery the great news.

EMERY’S POV

I was beyond ecstatic when Shannon called me back about ten minutes after I called for the favor. She told me her dad would be happy to let me stay in their house until I graduate. My mom and I drove to Shannon’s house so she could meet her parents.

They welcomed us into their home when we arrived half an hour later. Shannon’s mom kept commenting on how handsome I was and her dad seemed like he was so nervous, tripping over his feet and bumping into things. What was his deal?

I asked Shannon about it as she showed me upstairs to my room.

“Oh, he works for this manufacturing company and they have a few products that are waiting to be tested before they can be sold. Your dad basically holds the future of the products in his hand.”

I simply nod. When we get into my room I hug Shannon tightly to me.

“Thank you so much. You have no idea what this means to me.”

She laughs. “No problem. You’re happy. My girl will be happy so I’m happy.”

Amber. Oh boy! She was going to be super excited when she finds out I’m staying. I want to surprise her though so I fight the urge to call her. I hug Shannon once more before I rush downstairs to say good-bye to my mom.