Chapter 25

EMERY’S POV

“My whole life I was in your father’s shadow. He went to business school and I was expected to do the same. He started his company and your grandfather had to beg him to hire me so I can get some ‘real world experience’. I went to college but it wasn’t for me.

I spent about ten years jumping from job to job. I got into trouble; nothing big and your father had to bail me out of jail a few times. I got arrested for some unpaid tickets and spent a year behind bars. When I got out six years ago your father told me I had to straighten out my life or he wouldn’t be there the next time I was arrested.

I had started working out while in jail and I was at this bar and a nasty fight broke out between three bikers. I helped some guards break it up and came out without a scratch. I was offered a job and I took it. Being a bouncer wasn’t exactly a job your father wanted to tell his snobby friends that I had so that night when I saw you last, your father paid me ten thousand dollars to disappear and never contact him or you again.”

I held the phone to my ear listening to my uncle tell me this story. My dad never mentioned that he went to jail; but then again that wasn’t something you talk to a ten or eleven year old about. It would make sense for my dad to stay that Mitch stole the money especially if my mother questioned him about the missing funds.

“So if I were to believe your story, what does it change?” I sigh.

“Well, seeing as I made plans with Vivian for Monday night we’ll be seeing each other more often.”

What?

“You live in Florida?” I ask in astonishment.

“No, I live in Alabama but I’m only an hour’s drive away. I actually have a week off before the next cruise so I plan on getting to know Vivian a bit better.”

Oh wow. This was crazy. Was Amber’s mom really going to start dating my uncle?

“Mitch I’m sure Mrs. Richards told you what happened to her and her daughter-whom I happen to be dating, and I think she’s not ready to jump into something new.”

He chuckles. “That’s for Vivian to decide. Emery, I’m not a bad guy okay. Yes, I’ve made some mistakes-who hasn’t? Give me a chance and if I fuck up then you can hate my guts until the day I die all right kiddo?”

I sigh and tell my uncle I’ve got to get back to my girl, not giving him a definite answer if I was going to give him a chance. I end the call and head back to my room.

Since it is still early I suggest to Amber that we hang out in the room for a bit before going sight seeing and whatnot.

“But the ship leaves at two o’clock.” Amber whines, ready to go.

“But it’s barely eight o’clock.” I argue while sitting on the couch.

She groans and flops down on the couch next to me. I place my arm around her shoulders and bring her head closer to me. I kiss her forehead.