Chapter Sixty Seven

Roxy’s POV

The poorly lit sidewalk was a bit uneven in spots, and I had to be careful as I stepped, not wanting my heel to get stuck in a crack and potentially landing on my ass like a total idiot. I assumed some drinks were in our very near future, so I knew this walk would be even more treacherous on the way back.

A woman seated at the bar tossed her head back in laughter as we walked through the frosted glass door, which was a bit strange to do given that the restaurant’s walls were actually on tracks that had been rolled up into the ceiling.  “Para dos.” Niall said holding up his thumb and forefinger to the girl who came to greet us, a stack of menus in her hands. Luck was on our side, it seemed, as I sat down in the chair at the only available table, the waiter setting down two glasses of water, and smiling as he spoke loudly, struggling over the volume in the room. Not that it mattered, really; I didn’t understand a word.

“Sangria.” I said, quickly adding “Por favor.”

“Para mí también, gracias.” Niall said.  If he hadn’t guessed by our pasty skin, the waiter now knew totally sure we weren’t locals, but he smiled and happily weaved through the mess of tables and chairs to get our drinks. I peered quickly at the menu, which was separated into sections, I assumed by type of meat. “I’ll let you order.” I laughed as I closed the menu and watched as his eyes darted around the page.

“Whaddaya feel like?” he said.

“Surprise me.” I said.

“I have a feeling that we’re both going to be surprised.” He chuckled. “My Spanish isn’t that good.” The waiter returned with our drinks, setting a full goblet down in front of each of us and a pitcher in the center of the table, chunks of fresh fruit floating atop the blood-red wine. Niall leaned his elbows on the table and gestured to sections of the menu, fumbling a little over his words. I sipped my drink to hide the smirk that was spreading across my face. He let out a breath and lifted his eyebrows as he brought his own glass to his lips.

“So?” I smiled. “What are we having?”

“I ordered a sampler.” He said. “I think. I hope. We’ll see.”

He did well, actually. The food came out two small plates at a time, a few bites arranged perfectly against the white porcelain, sauces spread in swirls and dots. Each dish was more delicious than the last, and we just kept eating, unsure of when the last plate would be brought to our table. An hour and two pitchers of sangria later, we spilled back out the door.

“You’re not allowed to speak Spanish anymore, babe.” He laughed as he tugged my arm. “You just accused our waiter of poisoning you!”

“I was thanking him for getting us good and drunk!” I smirked.

“’Intoxicado’ is poisoned.” He was laughing so hard that his words were coming out hoarse. “You should have used ‘borracho’.”

“Whatever. We should have gotten some to-go!” I knew my face was flush, but only from the alcohol and laughing so hard. I was feeling shameless. Niall grabbed my hand as I turned for our hotel.

“Let’s walk the beach.” He said. I was relieved I wouldn’t have to brave that dark sidewalk in these heels. At the end of the road there was a metal barricade, which he quickly leapt over and held out his hand for me to balance on, as I was admittedly wobbly. Instead of taking it, I slipped off my shoes and held them in one hand as I straddled the steel form. “Okay then.” He said, slipping his hand back into the pocket of his pants.

Niall’s POV

The toes of her right foot reached for the sand, barely touching before she was forced to use her hand to hold herself up and fling her other leg over the barricade, trying desperately to avoid a crotchful of cold metal. She was quite the sight. Especially in that skirt.