Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty 

Roxy’s POV

“Hey you.” I said into the phone, which was awkwardly cradled between my cheek and shoulder as I finished loading the last plate into the dishwasher.

“Hi. Have ya had your dinner yet, babe?” Niall asked.

“Yeah, just finished up. Why?” I said, closing the door and clicking the start button, with no response from the stupid thing. I gave it a good kick and the motor started up.

“Dessert then? I’ll pick you up. Twenty minutes?” he said.

I rushed into my room to change, my midsection wet from cleaning up the kitchen, and walked out the lobby doors just as Harry’s Range Rover pulled up, with Niall driving. He parked at the curb and I hopped in the passenger seat. “Nice wheels.” I said, clicking on my belt. “I thought Harry didn’t let people drive his car?”

“He doesn’t. But this is my car now, so I can drive it.” He said. I was a mix of surprised and impressed. “Harry bought a new car, so I bought this from him. It smells like him, feels like home.” He smiled at me, and checked his mirror as he changed lanes.

“Why now? I didn’t think you were that impulsive, otherwise you’d have five cars and two mansions by now, like the others.” I joked. It was true that the other boys lived much flashier lifestyles than Niall, but I exaggerated slightly.

“It was more serendipitous than impulsive.” He said. “I had been dreading looking for a car, so when Harry called and offered, I jumped at it.  Plus, I feel like having one will make it a little easier to spend time with you. We don’t need to worry about arranging cars all the time. It just works out.”

I smiled out the window, watching the people mill about at the cafés and shops. “Let’s grab some ice cream to-go and park down by the river.” He said, making a quick left turn. His watch slipped a bit on his forearm as he gripped the steering wheel with one hand.  “Sound good?”

“Sounds perfect.” I said. I’d never seen him drive a car before, and for some reason, it was so sexy. He pitched forward a bit each time he checked his blind spot, and cursed under his breath at every driver that offended him in some manner. He took my hand and placed it into his lap as he the streets.

“What kind are you having?” he asked. I looked the long list of flavors up and down once more.

“Hmm. Toffee Crunch!” I said, overwhelmed by the options.

“Two toffee crunch cones.” Niall said loudly into the speaker box. “One large and one…babe?”

“Small.”

“One large and one small.” He finished.

“That’ll be four quid. Pull ‘round.” The speaker box said.

Niall’s POV

Roxy happily held both of our cones as I drove to find a spot to park the car along the river. She was alternating licks between the cones, insisting one had more toffee than the other, and trying to decide which one it was. Next time, I’m making her drive. I pulled into a spot and turned the engine off, but left the radio on, the volume low. We both undid our safety belts and got comfy.

“We should go to the store and get you some stuff to pimp out your new ride.” She said, tucking one leg underneath her. “Like a hula girl dash ornament.”

“I’m glad you brought it up. Shopping I mean.” I said.  “Can you cut work tomorrow?”

“I suppose I could switch some things around…”

“Good. We’re taking a trip to Bristol, to go to the beach. Haven’t been in ages. You’ll come along?” I said. The lads and I used to get down there quite often. We found a little bit of beach that’s secluded enough that we haven’t ever been interrupted. It’s only a few hours out of London, and makes a great little escape. Louis has been putting on the pressure to bring Rox around, so this will shut him up for a while, too. “We’ll need to hit the shops for supplies tonight.” I said.

“I’m excited.” She said. “I haven’t really been on any adventures outside of London. I’m seeing the world because of you.” She crunched into her cone and watched the rowers glide by. “What do we need to buy? Sunscreen?” she said.

I wandered through the aisles of Tesco, grabbing various snack foods. Roxy, more sensibly, headed to the deli section to get stuff to make sandwiches. She should have taken the trolley with her, as she returned with her arms full, a loaf of pita bread teetering on the top of her stack. “How many people will be there?” She asked, dumping her load into the trolley.

“Probably a dozen or so.” I replied, tossing a third bag of crisps into the pile. I could tell she was running through a list in her head, trying to plan this trip on a much higher level than the lads and I have ever attempted.

“So, we need enough food for everyone?” she said quickly, taking stock of what we already had.

“Nah. Everyone will bring stuff. It will be a mess, but that’s okay.” I said. We rounded the corner to the aisle of beer. This was going to take some time. Guinness would be a bit heavy for a day in the sun, so I opted for a pack of Harp, and a case of Corona. Roxy tucked a sixer of Strongbow under my crisps.  I heard some giggles from the end of the aisle, and instinctively, I took note of the exits.

“Ready for your first test, Rox?” I said, quickly pulling my wallet from my back pocket. “Take this, and my keys. We have to split up.” She looked worried, but paid close attention to my instructions. “Pay for our items, and then meet me at the car. I’ll be out shortly.  

Roxy’s POV

I pushed the cart down the aisle, glancing back only once to see Niall as the group of girls approached. Hey girls. How are ya?  Ya doin’ okay? The wheels squeaked as I rounded the corner and headed for the checkout. The woman pulled my groceries across the scanner at a snail’s pace. There didn’t seem to be that much commotion coming from the area I last saw Niall. He was so good at this stuff; probably just posed for a few pictures and went on his way. The cashier finally read the total aloud and I pulled the bills from Niall’s wallet.

I had to search for a moment for the latch to open the lift gate on the car. The trunk was absolutely spotless, but I doubt it would be that way for long, knowing Niall. I finally started piling in the bags when I heard a noise behind me.

“Need help with those bags pretty girl?” said a man, gruffly.

I found myself incredibly anxious to get into the car and lock the doors. “Uhhh, no thank you.” I said. As I slammed the lift gate down, I felt the man approach, his breath inches from my neck.

“Jesus Christ, Niall!” I hissed, as he wrapped his arms around my waist. He chuckled. “I almost peed my pants. I thought we were on a 007 Mission, and here you are blowing it all to hell.” My heart was still racing, as he pulled me along the passenger side of the car.

“It’s all clear, baby. Just a few fans, no biggie.” He said, taking the keys from my hand and opening my door. “You did great.” He said as I slid into the seat.  Now, let’s get back to your place so you can pack a bag. We’re getting an early start tomorrow, probably best that you just sleepover.”

“Hmm. If you think that’s best, than I suppose that’s what I’ll have to do.” I said as he put the car into drive and took my hand in his lap.