Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen 

Roxy’s POV

“Pleasure meeting you, let’s keep in touch about that event next spring.” I said, shaking the last hand of the morning. I glanced at the time on my laptop. 12:45. Time to pack up and grab some lunch. More importantly, caffeine. I’d need something to get me through the rest of the afternoon. I powered down my computer and tucked it into my bag, and headed through the lobby of the Convention Center and out the revolving doors. The street was busy, and I stood there for a moment people-watching. The grumble in my stomach got me moving, toward a little sandwich shop I’d spotted on my way in this morning.

I unconsciously tapped my heel with impatience as I stood in line, waiting for the cashier to make change to the old man that was apparently paying in pesos. I had plenty of time to eat, but after standing all day at the conference, I just wanted to sit down and kick these shoes off. They’ve probably filled with blood by now.

“Roxy?” I heard a voice from behind me.  There was a group of five or so people that had pushed together a few tables off to the side of the seating area. “Hey, Roxy.”  There was a shuffle at the tables as Harry stood up and gave a wave. “Oh, hey!” I said, and waved back as I stepped up to the counter. “Come over after you’ve ordered.” He said.

“Hi, I’ll have the cranberry chicken wrap, and the largest Diet Coke you sell.” I said to the pubescent cashier.  God Bless America, I thought as he handed me the 44 ounce drink and my sandwich, wrapped in wax paper. I weaved through the mess of chairs toward Harry. “Thought you were working today?” I said, putting my lunch down across from him.

“I was earlier, but they’ve finished with me.” He said. “Everyone, this is Roxy, she’s a friend of Niall’s.” His friends introduced themselves, but hell if I can remember any of their names. They were Harry’s West Coast Posse; pretty people he’d met at various parties. They seemed nice, but were of the hipster variety that was typical of Harry’s contingent.

“You live in LA, Roxy?” the thin blonde girl (Ivy?) asked.

“No, I live in London. I am in LA this week working, just up the block at the convention center.” I said, but I could tell she wasn’t much interested. I un-wrapped my sandwich and looked at Harry, hoping he’d have better luck at sparking up a conversation, but the others carried on talking, not needing my participation.

“I rather like your dress.” Harry said to me. “Brings out the color in your eyes.” 

“Thanks.” I said. What a flirt, I thought. Not that I minded being flirted with, especially considering who we’re talking about here. I mean, come on. 

I listened in on the table conversation while demolishing my sandwich and drink. They’re comparing notes on some album I’ve never heard of. I’m so uncool. Or maybe I’m cooler; I could probably win in a head-to-head Broadway trivia battle.  My ears perked when someone at the end of the table mentioned The Temper Trap. I started to say that I really loved their last album, but sank back into my chair when the guy on the end groaned “They’re so midtown.”

“What are you doing tonight? A bunch of us are going to The Echo. You should join us.” Harry said, twisting the cap off his premium bottled water.  I gave him a skeptical look. The Echo? “Oh that place sounds…fun.” I said. What I meant of course was that it sounded terrible. My stomach churned at the thought of stale PBR smell. “Niall’s going?” I asked.

“Yeah, Niall’s in for sure.” He said. I was sort of surprised that the evening’s plans are already organized, given that it’s only early afternoon. The idea of letting loose on this town before heading back was very appealing. I would just need to get through the rest of the day. I slid my chair back and said my goodbyes to Harry’s Posse. “I’ve got to be heading back. Nice to meet you.” I said. “See you later then, Harry?”