Chapter Thirty-Eight

Roxy’s POV

I watched as he finally sat down on the edge of the small stage, worn out from a long, exciting day. He’s twenty-two now, and he even looked a little older to me for some reason. I spent the whole day with him, but we barely had exchanged a word. He kissed me on the forehead this morning on his way out of the hotel room. The sun wasn’t even up. He wanted to get all of the radio and promo stuff out of the way early, before the fundraising events got underway. Come to think of it, I hadn’t even officially wished him a happy birthday. 

The party was winding down now, with only a few stragglers left chatting at various spots around the large room. I stepped out from behind the long table where I’d been stationed for most of the night, handing out information packets and accepting donations.  I sat down next to him, and he laid his head on my shoulder, utterly exhausted.

“I’m so proud of you, Niall.” I said, running my finger over the callus on his thumb. “You’re amazing.”

“No.” he said. “You’re amazing. You made this happen.”

“I only helped.” I replied.  He brought his feet up onto the stage, and pushed himself backwards so that he could lie down.  I carefully arranged my dress before taking the spot beside him. We both lay there, staring up at the ceiling tiles. I could almost sense the heaviness in his eyelids.

“So. Where’s my birthday present?” He blurted.

“Oh, is it your birthday? I think technically it was yesterday, seeing as it is now past midnight.”

“Don’t sass me.” he said.  “You’re not off the hook.”

I pulled him up by the arm. It was time to get this birthday boy to bed. I had a surprise in store for tomorrow, so the sooner we could get to sleep and wake up, the sooner that adventure would begin. He said his goodbyes to the last few people as I collected the remaining supplies and loaded them into the rental car.  I had no idea how to get back to the hotel from here, so I waited patiently in the passenger seat.

Niall’s POV

It was her first time in Ireland, and I didn’t even have a chance to take her on a proper tour. We got in last night, drove up from Dublin, had dinner with my parents and fell asleep shortly after checking into the hotel. She stared out the window, trying to take in what she could of the scenery in the pitch black. 

“Hey Babe?” I said, turning the radio down even further.

“Mmm?”

“Can I ask a birthday favor?” I said. She smiled, waiting for what I assume she thought would be a naughty idea. “I don’t want to fall asleep in that strange hotel room.”

“Okay. I didn’t bring any of my stuff with me…” She replied, a bit hesitant.  I turned the radio back up and took the slip onto the motorway, heading for home. 

We pulled into the drive, the house dark and deserted. The fridge would be empty, and the water heater turned off, but my bed would be there waiting for us.  After mum moved to London, I insisted we keep the house just the same way it’s always been. I don’t get back here often enough, but everyone in my family has a key. It’s turned into a bit of a Horan Hostel for out-of-town guests.

I flicked on a lamp and cracked open the large window in the front room to let in some fresh air.

“This is so weird.” She mumbled. “I feel like we just broke into someone’s house.” She looked around at the décor, the family photos, being unnecessarily careful to look and not touch; like she was in a museum or something.