Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen 

Niall’s POV

I glanced at my watch. Still have an hour and half before needing to be at the Syco offices. You can’t sit here forever, I thought. I needed to do what I said I would, and give her time to think. But to think about what exactly? What just happened back there? The steel door swung open, the rhythm of feet pounding the concrete echoed in the bright stairwell. I shuffled to one side of the step to allow the person to pass. As the feet rounded the landing, the cadence slowed. She sat down beside me.

“That wasn’t at all how I thought my day would turn out.” I said.

“It was a little weird, to be honest.” Penny said, looking out the window at the kids playing football in the small city park behind the building.  “I mean, I don’t really know what’s going on between you two, but that conversation escalated quickly.”

“How is she?” I asked. I was a little embarrassed to be pumping Penny for information, but I couldn’t help it.

“She seems confused, maybe a little angry…but probably with herself more than with you.” Penny said. “Plus, she’s feeling poorly, which is not helping. I am actually heading out now to get some orange juice for her, you know, a little Vitamin C.”

“Yeah. That was really stupid.” I said. I plucked a piece of lint from my trousers and rolled it between my finger and thumb before tossing it over the metal handrail.

“You slept with her, didn’t you?” Penny asked abruptly. I turned toward her and stared silently, not knowing how to respond. Why would she ask that? Penny stood up and stepped down a few stairs and turned back to face me when we were at eye-level. “She’ll call you, don’t worry. I haven’t known her long, but I know her well enough.” She trotted down the remaining stairs, the exterior door slamming behind her.

I rang the bell and placed my eye to the peephole. The deadbolt clicked open. “Hey mate. What’s up? Our meeting isn’t for another hour.” Louis said, tucking his undershirt into his trousers. I pushed past him and into the house.

“I need to talk to El.”

“To Eleanor? She’s not coming down until tomorrow…” he started as I sat down on the couch and opened up his laptop, quickly double-clicking the Skype icon.

“Give us some privacy?” I said. Louis didn’t know what to make of this, but turned on his heel and exited the room without questioning me further. The call indicator scrolled from right to left, making the connection. Her voice came through the speakers before I could see her face. “Louis William!  I have to get some work done tonight. You’ve got two minutes and then I’m hanging up.” she said. The video feed finally started. “Oh, hey Niall. Where’s Louis?” she said.

“El, I know you’re busy. I just need to ask you something.” I said, adjusting the screen to center myself in the camera.  “If you had to do it all over again with Louis, would you? I mean from the very beginning. Was it worth it?” Her face scrunched up for a moment but quickly relaxed.

“This is about that girl you’ve been seeing, isn’t it?” she said, a smile on her face. “Louis said you fancy her, and that she’s quite the crack up. She’s called Roxy? Are you blushing yet Niall? I can’t tell.” She brought her face close to her computer screen playfully.

“Eleanor, please. Just tell me what to do.”

She sat back in her chair. “I’ve never seen you like this. You hardly know this girl.” She took a sip from a mug, shifting into a more serious mood to match my own. I wasn’t sure what I expected her to tell me, but I hoped she had something to make things more clear. “So, you’re thinking about making this thing official?” She said.