Chapter Sixty-Four

In Other Words…Chapter Sixty Four 

Niall’s POV

“I just hate seein’ her like this, you know?” I said aloud. The car park was nearly empty, and I slumped back against my seat, unsure of how or why I was even here.

“I get it.” Harry’s voice came through the speaker. “Maybe she needs a girls’ night? Call El. She’ll have that organized before you’re off the line.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “A girls’ night?” I said, waiting for Harry to play that one out in his head. She could use a night out, for sure. But she’d probably just roll her eyes at the idea of it being girls-only.

What Roxy could use was a night at some hole-in-the-wall, with a tired old jukebox in the corner that hadn’t seen a single new track since the early 2000s. I’d sip on a pint or two as she knock them back, her boldness growing with each swallow. She’d want to give shit to Harry, dance like an idiot and then end up having a philosophical half-hour conversation with the barback. Her hips would sway as she sauntered over to me, pressing her lips to my ear and whispering sexy promises I knew she meant, but wouldn’t be able to keep.  She’d down a couple of glasses of water, insisting she was good to go, and I’d press my hand against her waist as she wobbled out to the car. She’d be passed out before we even got home.

“Anything I can help with?” he said, a door slamming in the background of the call.

“Not yet, mate.” I said, half-lost in thought. “But maybe when I start looking at these properties…”

“Don’t you think you should talk to Rox about this?” Harry interrupted. “I mean, I don’t think this should be a surprise. What if she’s not into it?”

His concerns were valid, and eventually I would just spill the idea to her, and see where she lands on it. But I knew damned well she’d have a hundred questions, and if I wanted this to go smoothly, I needed to have an answer to at least a few of them. “It’s not going to be a surprise.” I explained. “I’m just doing a little research.”

“It’s Niall.” Harry said, taking the phone from his face. “Hi Niall!” she said loudly in the background.

“Hey Allie.” I said, knowing Harry would relay the message. The clock on my dash clicked closer to two, and I took my key from the ignition. “All right I’m heading in.” I said.

“Good luck, I guess.” Harry said.

I took the stairs out to the street and walked up the two blocks to the office building, the frosted glass doors swinging easily on their hinges as I entered .  The smartly dressed blonde at the front desk recognized me; I could tell by the way she straightened in her chair.

“Christina, right?” I smiled. The color rose in her cheeks.

“They’ll be with you in just a few minutes, Mr. Horan.” She said.

“Great. I’m just glad they could fit me in on such short notice.”

“I..I moved some things around.” She said, eyes darting between her computer screen and my face.

“Well, thank you.” I said, taking a seat in the row of chairs against the window.

I picked up a magazine and flipped through the pages, anxiously. I probably should have brought a notebook , or at the very least a pen. I was going to look like a total fool. The pages slipped between my thumb and forefinger, and I was halfway through before I realized it was a woman’s magazine. I tossed it to the table and lifted my hat from my head, quickly pulling it back down.