Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty One 

Niall’s POV

Our little Irish holiday meant I was in a bit of a rush to get my to-do list checked off completely before finally leaving for the first leg of our tour. I had appointments with the label, with my doctor, and with my real estate agent. I needed to squeeze in some time with my parents, my brother and my friends. I wanted to figure out something special to do for Roxy. And oh, I needed to pack. It was a little overwhelming to say the least.

“It’s okay babe, you go on ahead!” She shouted sarcastically.  I stopped my thoughts as well as my feet and turned around. I’d left her about twenty paces behind, and she was struggling with her suitcase; the wheels rocking awkwardly against the smooth floor of the terminal.

“Christ, I’m sorry.” I said, taking the bag from her and giving it a quick kick before tugging it along smoothly with my own bag. She smiled and adjusted the new navy and green scarf she bought from the little shop in Mullingar my aunt owns.

“Your flat? Or mine?” I asked her as we slammed shut the doors of the car, the driver loading our bags into the back. I had a promo obligation at some new club uptown. The contract was for two members of the band, and Zayn and I had drawn the short straws.

 “Mine.” She said quietly. “Your car’s there, remember?” I hadn’t. I rattled off the address to the driver, and shot a text to Zayn to make sure he hadn’t forgotten about our hot date. Roxy was asleep before we even got on the motorway. And I was left with my thoughts.

She opened the door and immediately flopped on the couch as I pulled our bags inside. “Hey now.” I said. “No more napping. You need to find something to wear out tonight.” We needed to be at the club in less than two hours. Luckily, I had something clean in my suitcase that would be acceptable to wear, but we would need to allow for traffic and the trouble we’d have getting Zayn’s ass in gear.

“Is it okay if I stay in tonight?” she looked down at her hands. “I know you’re leaving soon, but I just don’t feel up for the club…”

“Sure babe.” I said, disappointed. I know when I do appearances, we don’t necessarily get to spend a ton of time together, but it was just nice to have her around. But, flying did take a lot out of her, and she was looking a little exhausted. “But it’s gonna be a late one. Want me to come back here?”

“If you want, Ni.” She smiled. “I’ll never turn you away from sleeping in my bed. You’re having breakfast with your mom tomorrow, right?”

“Lunch.” I said. “I’m having breakfast with this gorgeous girl I know.” I kissed her goodbye and grabbed the handle of my bag. “Love you.” I called before plucking my keys from the bowl by the door. She sang the words back as the door clicked closed.

Harry’s POV

I pulled up to the back of her building and looked around before getting out of my car. It was risky coming here straight from the studio, knowing I could have easily been followed and am risking making Allison Page a household name in a way that wouldn’t exactly look great on her résumé. I slowly made my way up the back staircase and paused at her door. Eventually, I knocked, using only one knuckle and barely tapping the surface. I didn’t want her to answer.

She pulled open the door and forced a small smile. We both knew why I was there, and yet we both faked happiness. She was pulling the plug. Well, I guess technicallywe were pulling it, but I was only going along with it because she was so certain it needed to be done. I wasn’t so sure. What’s that quote? “If you love something set it free…”?