Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two 

Niall’s POV

I woke up early and peeled myself from her side, not wanting to disturb her.  I’d like to say she looked like an angel, but she didn’t. Her hair was a ratted mess and her body was splayed out on the sheets like she had fallen ten stories. Normally, she slept curled up, the blanket tucked in between her limbs and up to her chin. I gave myself a mental pat on the back; it had been a good night.

Yesterday was chock-full of last minute stuff; breakfast at our usual little diner with Roxy (and Harry who had stayed the night on her couch), lunch with my mother, meetings, fittings, phone calls, traffic, and so on. And now, I’ve got eight hours until I need to check in at Heathrow.  I was ninety percent excited about it.

My empty suitcases sat piled in the living room, and I stood over them for a moment, knowing I should probably have a plan in place before just throwing stuff inside. I peered back into the bedroom to see if Roxy had stirred, but she was still out cold. I could use her help. There’s only one kind way to awaken a slumbering girl: Breakfast.  Soon the smell of bacon and hot coffee filled my flat, and she emerged from the bedroom, having tamed her mess of hair, and thrown on one of the many lounge-around tank top and shorts ensembles that had found their way over to my place, tucked away in a bottom drawer which had silently been reserved for her things.

“Smells good.” She smiled.  The toaster popped as she wrapped her arms around my waist and leaned her entire body into me. She pressed her face into my back and I knew she was leaving the sneakiest of kisses there.

‘Hot. Hot hot.” I mumbled, tossing the toast onto a small plate and placing it on the island. She matched me step for step, still attached to me as I grabbed the carton of orange juice from the fridge in the door and shook it; just enough left for each of us to have a glass. I pulled out the barstool and unhooked her.

“I was practicing being your carry-on.” She pouted. I gripped her waist and lifted her a few inches of the ground, planting her in the seat and scooting it up to the counter.

“You wouldn’t fit in the over-head compartment.” I replied.

“Are you calling me fat?” she joked, a piece of toast already hanging from her lips. I didn’t bother answering.  “Babe.” She said, taking a sip of her coffee that I knew I had probably made incorrectly. “Next time you’re home, it’ll be winter.”

It was a strange thing to think about. I looked out on the balcony, the early morning sun heating the concrete. We had been enjoying a bit of a long summer in London, but soon she’s be out of these skimpy pyjamas and into jumpers. God knows where I’ll be.

“You’re gonna come back and I’m going to be so pale. I don’t think you’re ready for that.” She said.

“I wish it were tomorrow, love.” I muttered into my juice glass, not sure if she could hear me. 

Roxy’s POV

I glanced one more time at the clock before swearing to myself that I wouldn’t look again for the rest of the day. The minutes were slipping by. Niall was sitting in front of his shoe collection, struggling with the decision of which pairs to pack. I headed into the bathroom to gather his toiletries. Keeping my mind and my hands busy was probably a good thing. I unzipped the leather case and piled in all of the necessities that already lay strewn about. “Want me to pack you some condoms?” I said loudly, tossing the dental floss in before zipping the case and awaiting his response.

“Uhh. If you found condoms in there, they’re probably expired. Put ‘em in the bin.” He said plainly. I smiled at myself in the mirror, knowing my question hadn’t rattled him in the least. I fucking love him.