Chapter One

Chapter One 

Roxy’s Point of View

“This is MY song!”, I screamed to no one in particular, and ran toward the dance floor. Finally, this DJ who had otherwise played the same boring rotation, was rolling out some tracks I was loving. I had been in London for six months now, and was finally coming out of my shell. My roommate, Penny, a native, was likely in some dark corner of this club with her boyfriend, Kyle. I didn’t care. I’ve had a couple of drinks, and like I said, this was my song. 

I didn’t stay in one spot on the floor too long; this place was an disappointing mix of hipsters and seedy characters, neither of which is my “type”. With each tempo change, I searched for a better dance partner. The DJ got back on my shit list as the beat slowed just as this creep met my gaze. “It would be nice if my wingwoman was here now.”, I thought, as I craned for a glimpse of Penny. I’d have to shake this one on my own. I smiled politely, pretended to see someone I knew, and dance-walked away.

Niall’s POV

“Hi.”, a voice said from behind me. I turned slowly, dreading another girl with her iPhone, begging for a photo. “Hi. Sorry. There’s this creepy guy, and I’m not good at this, so can you just pretend to know me for a few seconds until he finds some other victim?”, she said. I laughed. “You’re here alone?”, I asked. “Oh, no, I guess technically not..my roommate, she’s..somewhere. And as far as Creeper Magoo is concerned, I’d like to be not alone, and here with you. I’m Roxy.”, she half-yelled as the music grew louder. “I am Niall.” I said, “and now, you’re here with me.”

Roxy’s POV

I approached the sea of backs perched around some pub tables. I’d have to roll the dice that one would help me out. The blonde. His back seemed, well, nice, I guess. “Hi.”, I said, and went on to explain my predicament. About six words in, I began to feel as I’d seen this lad before. He laughed at me, and then asked if I was alone. The accent was unmistakable. The panic started in my toes, but I tried to play it cool. After formally learning his name, I was suddenly at a loss of what to say to him as we danced. I decided to go for the elephant in the room, or at least in our minds. “You look really familiar.” I said slowly, squinting. “Do I?”, he replied cautiously. “Yeah. Hey, do you work at that coffee shop on Cork Street?” I said coyly. ” ‘Fraid not, love.”, he said. “Huh. Well, I am all out of ideas then. Guess I’ve never seen you before.”, I said with a small smile. 

The song was winding down now, and I didn’t want to overstay my welcome. I checked my blind spots for the Creep. All clear. “You’re an American, yes?” he said. “I am. Did you guess based on my accent or my keen dance skills?” I asked. Not waiting for an answer, I did a lame curtsy. “Thanks for saving me, Niall. Good to have met you.”