Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

Niall’s POV

My intercom chirped, and I leapt off the couch to my feet. I held the button and awaited the familiar voice of James, the doorman.

“Mr. Horan, I’ve got a Miss Roxanne Collins here to see you. This isn’t exactly a match to the name you left earlier, so I just wanted to be sure that this is indeed the person you’re expecting this evening.”

Roxanne Collins? I laughed and held down the button. “Yeah, James, that’ll be her. T’anks for checking.”

 The doorman quickly replied, “I am eager to avoid an incident like we had last month with one of your fans, Mr. Horan. I hope you will forgive my interrupting your evening.”

“Not a problem there, mate. Thanks.”

I checked myself briefly in the mirror in the hall. Was I nervous? I took a sniff under each arm and was satisfied. There were three quick raps at the door. I was standing just on the other side, but I counted to ten before approaching and opening the door for Roxy. She was standing there with my hoodie extended out at eye-level, blocking her face. I took it slowly and she gave a small smile. “How are ya? Ya okay?” my standard greeting. She shrugged, but I could tell she was feeling much better than the last time I laid eyes on her.

“Come on in, then” I said. She placed a toe tip inside the threshold and then quickly pulled it backwards. I took her hand, gently pulled her in and closed the door. She didn’t put up much of a fight. She looked good, but not like she tried too hard. “Cute glasses.” I said. She glanced downward and wrinkled her nose a bit and said “Thanks.”  She had a tin in her hands and a brown paper bag tucked under her arm. “What’s this?” I said.

“Well, these cookies are a thank you for saving my life gift” she said as she lifted the lid and placed them on my breakfast bar.  “And this” she said as she removed a six pack of beer from the paper bag “is an I’m  sorry I was a rude fucking idiot this morning gift”. She looked at me for approval. “I am hoping that these still count as gifts, even though I expect you’ll share with me.”

You drink Murphy’s?” I said with mild amazement. “Not exactly a sissy beer”.

“Do I come off as a sissy to you, Niall?” she chided. “Plus, I thought it would be a perfect complement for the cookies.”

“Well, I didn’t mean to suggest that you’re a sissy, Miss Roxanne Collins.” I teased. “What did you think you were reporting for jury service or something, love?” I smiled.

“Shut your mouth. I didn’t know what to say! Why do you have to be a fancy person with a gate and a speaker box?”

“Well it all started back when I was sixteen. I was just a young lad from Mullingar, and it all changed when I auditioned for this little television program you may have heard of…” I began.

“Har har har. Can we sit down and drink these beers now?” She gestured toward the couch.

I liked the way she sassed me. Most girls just bat their eyes when I speak. I grabbed a bottle opener from the kitchen drawer. “Would you like a glass for your beverage?” I said haughtily. “Oh, no thanks.” She replied. This one was different, I thought as I joined her in the living room.

Roxy’s POV

I sat down on the couch I’d spent the previous night passed out on and automatically tucked one leg under the other. I wanted so badly just to fire off the thousand questions that had been bouncing around in my brain over the last twelve hours. Instead I offered “Sooo, how were your meetings?” He stared back without answer, full well knowing I was avoiding what I came there to do.  He began to munch on one of the cookies.

After a moment he said casually “Boring. I was distracted. But you didn’t come here to ask about my day, did ya?” He cracked open two bottles and handed me one. I took a sip. And a breath. I said “Maybe you could just tell me what happened, starting from when we met. We were dancing, right?” Niall recounts the night’s events, with more detail than he managed earlier. I interrupt occasionally with a question. I let out a sigh of embarrassment when he mentions that Louis was there. “We should save him some cookies.” I said. Niall slid the tin of cookies closer to himself and said “Oh, Lou is watching his girlish figure. But I am not.” As he popped a whole one into his mouth he managed “I love these biscuits”, a trail of crumbs falling onto his plain white t-shirt.

“I’ve heard that you like to eat” I said with a small poke to his tummy.

“Oh ya’ve heard, have ya?”

I gave my best Kathy Bates from Misery impersonation “I know everything about you, Niall. I am your biggest fan.” He laughs. I hold my obsessive stalker fan stare. He looks away nervously. I let out a laugh and slap my knees. “Relax, Horan. I’m only kidding.” I said.

He breathed a sigh of relief and said “You and Louis would get along smashingly.”

“Oh really, is that what you’d suggest?”

“The only thing is that Louis cannot stand to be upstaged. So, it wouldn’t work out between you two in the end, I’m afraid.” He said.

We continued on that way for a while. Niall occasionally brought us back on track with sorting out what may have happened in the club. He asked if I would go to the police. I said I didn’t see much of a point. Even if I could manage to track down the man that attempted to take me home, how could I prove he had put something in my drink? I ended up on the better end of the deal anyhow, having spent the night on the couch of a pop star.

I glanced at the clock on top of his television. It was past midnight. “I should be going.” I said, as I stood and carried our empty bottles to the kitchen. He followed me in and looked as if he might protest. Before he could I said “If there’s anythingI can do to repay your kindness…” my voice shaking as the gravity of what could have been hit me once more. “…another batch of cookies by FedEx, whatever. Please let me know. Thank you for saving me twice last night, Niall.” I said softly, overwhelmed with gratitude.

“Roxy, I…” he started, but stopped as I wrapped my arms around him and he pulled me in close. I remained there for a moment fighting back tears. I pulled back and our eyes met. I opened the door, and stepped out backwards. I managed not to curtsey this time, as I said “Goodnight Niall.”

“Goodnight, Roxy.” He replied, still unsure of what to make of my hasty exit. “Sleep well, alright?”

I smiled and nodded as I turned toward the elevator. A few more moments, and I would be back to my regular life.