Chapter 17

Great.  My feelings towards Brody is all over the place, my hip is fractured, I'm going to school on a wheelchair, and I have a boatload of schoolwork.  Isn't life fantastic?  No but seriously.  It was bad enough to be going through a massive heart break and being embarrassed with going to school on a wheelchair.  Does my teachers feel the need to give us so much work?

I sighed as I sat on my chair by the desk, staring at the stack of home work.  I grabbed a pencil and started doing my astronomy home work.  Astromy's my favorite subject, but having home work is never cool.  I scratched my head as I tried labeling the stars.  When I couldn't get the answer, I flipped open my text book.  It went on like that, and in 3 hours and 28 minutes of concentration (Yes, I checked), my home work was done.  I ate 2 bags of chips and a big glass of Sprite in the process, because it would be completely impossible to do my homework without it.  I stretched and got out of my chair--well, tried to get out of my chair.  When I noticed I couldn't move my hip, much to my frustration, I called out for someone.  Because my parents were still working, my brother was the first to come.  

"A little help?"  I asked, and he grunted which I took as a yes.  I needed some help for getting up and being lifted a little, because I can't let all the weight go on my hip and feet.  He groaned as he lifted me up slightly.

"Gosh, how much do you weigh?"  He asked, seeming to be having a hard time.  I kinda felt bad for him, but his comment was unnecessary.  I narrowed my eyes at him and shot back.

"Shut up."  I gave him the evil eye, and he dropped me into the wheel chair.  He let out a breath, and even though he wasn't exactly being nice, I thanked him.  He muttered a "no problem" under his breath.  He left the room, and I wheeled myself to the edge of my room.  I grabbed my phone from the table, and then swiveled to the side of my bed to grab my book, when my phone vibrated.  I jumped, because I wasn't expecting a text.  I almost threw my phone, but I grabbed on to it before I did anything.  When I checked it, I saw it was from Alex.

Hey Jenny.  Wanna hang out some time?

I raised my eye brows as I studied the words.  I knew how he felt for me, and it doesn't take a genius to understand that he was asking me on a date.  I sighed, considering it.  I was pretty bored, but would it be right to start going on dates before you're over your ex?  But then I remembered how I thought it'd be a good idea to start dating someone or something.  So I chose to accept the invitation.

Sure.  When do you want to hang out?

I replied, and huffed my cheeks and slowly let the air out.  I stretched my arms out, and waited for his text.  A beep came out from my phone, indicating that I got a reply.  I opened the text.

This Sunday, I'll pick you up at your house.

That seemed fair enough, so I agreed.

Sure!  Where are we going?

I tapped my fingers on the side of my arm rest.

A cafe and a movie?  I'll look up somewhere that allows wheelchairs. :-)

That seemed nice, and it was sweet of him to consider my state.

Ok!  Well, I'll see you at school tomorrow!

I don't know if he wanted to continue texting me, but I didn't feel like talking too much.  Besides, I wanted to read my book.  I was becoming like a nerd, or worse, my mom!  Holy, what's gonna happen if I become like my mom?  A book worm!  

But at the moment, I didn't really care, so I tossed my phone on the bed, and grabbed the book.  I heaved a sigh, and then I scowled.  I've sighed a whole bunch these days.  I mean, I was tired and stressed, but I've never sighed this much in a short period of time.  And that thought reminded me of how it's a good idea to break things off with Brody.  And I might be heading towards a good direction by trying to move on.