Chapter 15

I woke up with a lot of beeping sounds coming from everywhere. My eyes opened slowly, and my entire body hurt. A lot. Relief flooded the people around me's faces. My parents and Cody was there, and Romie, Alex, and Brody. Then some bits of memories came back to me. I fell off my window. Because I was suicidal. Because Brody broke up with me. That thought hit me ten times harder than the ground hit me when I fell out of my window. I was about to close my eyes again so I didn't have to think about it anymore. But sooner or later I was going to have to face everyone. So I asked the most logical question I could think of.

"How long was I out?" My voice was hoarse, like leaves were smushed in my vocal chords. I cleared my throat as I waited for the answer.

"Three days, dear." My mom piped up, her voice soothing, and her soft hands were rubbing my arm.

"woah." I'd been out that long? I've fainted before when I had my period and I wasn't hydrated enough. I was barely out for an hour though. But three days? Gosh, I must've hit my head pretty darn hard. I scratched my head but hit a bandaged place which was kind of soft. I winced, and my mom reached over as soon I touched the place. I gasped, and she bit her lip.

"And you got a nasty wound on your head."

"Yup. A little late for that." You might think I was being a bitch at the moment, but I honestly, I wasn't in my best mood, and I didn't care if I showed it. "Look, can I have some time alone with Romie please?" Everyone nodded, and shuffled outside the room. "And if anybody tries to snoop, I will haunt them forever." I said, just in case.

Romie sat on the seat where mom was sitting. And because she was my best friend, and she understood me, she hugged me gently, and whispered in my ear. "I'm so glad you are alive." She loosened her grasp, and I saw a tear escape her eye. She wiped it off, and smiled. I wanted to feel safe and loved, and she had provided me just that. I had gone through an extreme heart break, and fell off a two-story building. I could get some slack.

"And being the very curious person that I am, can you tell me what happened with you and Brody? If you get it off your chest, it might make you feel better, too." I nodded, and informed her about how I kissed Alex. And how I saw him kiss Claire. And all the other information. I found myself in tears around the end.

"I mean, I know I shouldn't have kissed Alex, but is all of it my fault?" I asked, my voice quivering.

"Aw, come on! You shouldn't have done that, but it's girl instincts! This other pretty cool guy likes you, and you catch your boyfriend kissing another girl? It doesn't allow you to kiss Alex, but I don't think Brody should've reacted like that. I think, more than anything, he's scared he's going to lose you to him, rather than he's upset you kissed Alex." I nodded. Romie always knew what to say.

"And, just between you and me? I asked Brody why he broke up with you, and he didn't answer me. Later on, I heard Alex and Brody fighting. I think Alex overheard me talking to Brody. Alex was saying how Brody was the one who hurt you, and you should've seen Brody's face. He looked so sad, and guilty, and... I can't even describe it. Even Alex stopped talking." She frowned, and I sighed.

"I didn't want to jump off, you know. I mean, I had that one second that I wanted to jump off, because I thought I lost everything already, and I wanted Brody to feel guilty. But then, I snapped out of it. I was coming back into the room. Then I lost my balance...."

"I know. I was there. Remember?" I sighed again, and nodded shortly. "Look, I can't keep you all to myself for all this time. You're gonna have to talk to your parents, and....Brody. You need to. It's not a choice." She said. I breathed in deeply from my nose, and closed my eyes. Then I exhaled sharply, opening my eyes along with it.