Chapter 24

I stood outside, waiting for Jake to come pick me up. I didn't have a car that day, because my battery ran out, and my car didn't start. I had to stay after school later than Jake because I had an extra period that day, so Jake told me he'll pick me up at 4 o'clock.

I looked at my watch. 3:51. My class has been let out 15 minutes earlier than usual, so I had been waiting for six minutes now. One really bad thing about me was that I was very impatient. I tapped my foot on the ground, counting every second that passed by.

And then, the worst thing happened. It started raining. It was a soft drizzle, but then a huge downpour was washing down on me. I groaned, but didn't bother to go back inside the school building. I wanted to be left alone with my thoughts, and I didn't mind that my clothes were getting wet, and my socks were squishing against the water that went in my converse. My hair started sticking to my face, and I could imagine my make up was coming off by now. I took a tissue out of my bag, and cleaned my face. It took multiple tissues to complete my task, because the tissues got wet after a few seconds.

I heard someone's foot steps get closer to me, but I chose to ignore it. Probably some random guy walking to his car, anyway. I put a strand of hair behind my ear, and looked down at my shoes. There was a hole on my shoe! When did it get there? I swear I didn't see it this morning! Was I wearing shoes that had a hole in it the entire day? I let out an exasperated sigh just as the foot steps coming towards me stopped. Confused, I looked up.

"What happened, to make you be so angry?" Brody asked, smiling a little. He was referring to my exasperated sigh. I was still mad at him though, so I ignored him.

"Aw, come on. Please talk to me." I looked up, frowning, but my eyes found a pair of beautiful sapphires, which caused my breath to get caught in my throat. I cleared it, and crossed my arms over my chest.

"You were really rude to me, and frankly, I am not in the mood of talking." I said simply, and turned on my heel. I took a step, when Brody turned me around. Our faces became closer than I wanted, and I could see each drops of rain water coming off of him and his shirt sticking to his skin. The rain was still pouring down on us, but I couldn't feel it, because I felt numb. I let out a shaky breath, and he put a hand around my waist. I lightly pushed him away.

"I...I can't," I said, not meeting his eyes. He tightened his arm around my waist. I gulped.

"But you can." He breathed, his face inches from mine. Our breathing was ragged, and I could feel his heart beat hammering quickly, like mine. I got even closer to him, and his nose brushed against mine. I looked into his beautiful blue orbs, almost in a trance. Our lips almost touched.

"Jen?" I immediately jerked away at Jake's voice. I looked towards him, and hurt covered his face.

"Uh..Jake, I..." I ran to him, leaving Brody. He didn't meet my eyes, and when he looked up, he seemed so sad and broken.

"Jen...what are we, exactly?" He asked, letting out a sigh. I didn't know. What were we? A million different emotions stabbed my heart. Confusion, sadness, guilt, tiredness, you name it. But instead of replying, I started crying. I hated crying in front of others, but once the tears came, it didn't stop. I frantically wiped it, but the next tears replaced it immediately. Why are my eyes so teary lately?

Then, Jake seemed really surprised at me crying. He frantically tried comforting me.

"Oh, it's ok. I didn't mean to hurt you...Just, please stop crying!" Apparently, Jake never dealt with a crying girl, because his comforting absoloutely sucked. I looked up at him, a bit blurry because of my tears, but he was looking genuinely concerned. His face softened.