Ring Ring

Claude and I had returned from the road trip with the rest of the team in high spirits. We were going strong and looked like contenders for the cup at the quarter mark.

"I'm going for a run," Claude called from the other room as I read a romance novel that I'd picked up from the book stand at the airport.

"Okay, have fun," I yelled back, shaking my head to myself; I had no idea how running was fun, but Claude seemed to think so.

I was deep in a misty, far-away land filled with castles, dragons, and damsels in distress when my phone rang. I sighed and slid the bookmark into my book, bummed about being interrupted until I recognized the ringtone. I grin spread across my face and I raced to the phone. "Hello?" I answered breathlessly.

"Whoa, did we interrupt something? I really don't want to be talking to you if you were doing what I think you were doing," Sidney said.

"No, no, I just ran to the phone. I was reading. Claude isn't even home," I laughed.

"Oh, good. I was about to be really grossed out," Sidney chuckled.

"Don't be disgusting," I shook my head even though he couldn't see me.

"Well, it's not like it doesn't happen-"

"SIDNEY CROSBY STOP TALKING ABOUT MY SEX LIFE!!!" I shouted and I could hear several laughs from the other end.

"Okay, okay, I'll lay off. I assume he's treating you well?"

"We're great. Actually, now that I think about it, he thought you were coming between us," I mentioned casually.

"Who?" Sid asked, confused.

"You, idiot," Kris Letang said.

"Hey, Kris!" I replied before Sid could say anything.

"Hi, Stella! We miss you," Kris answered.

"Yeah, miss you, Stella," Geno joined.

"Hey, Evgeni!"

"Yo, my homegirl, Stella!" Beau Bennett yelled from the other side.

"What's up, brother?" I tried not to laugh as I said it, but failed.

Someone scoffed on the other side and then came really close to the phone. "Hey, Stella..." I thought he was going to say more, so I didn't reply. "Stella?" He asked and I identified it as being Robert.

"Hey, weirdo," I responded.

"Rude," he shot back.

"I'm just kidding, Rob. You're my favorite tree," I smiled.

"I might be tall, but I'm not a tree," he sighed and I could tell he was rolling his eyes.

"So, guys, what's the occasion?" I asked, putting my book away and beginning to pace around the house.

"Oh, you know," Sidney said, "we're just doing the usual things. We wanted to check up on you, that's-" he stopped abruptly.

I heard shuffling from their end, then, "What the fuck? Where are you guys?" It was a distinctly Finnish accent from a particularly irritated sounding defenseman.

I whispered into the phone's mic, "What did y'all do to Maatta?" No one replied and there was some more shuffling and white noise before anyone replied.

"We hiding," Geno chuckled.

"And I'm getting squished," Sutter complained with an oomph!

"Where are you hiding?" I queried.

"In the closet in the equipment room," Sidney answered.