(14) Sea Shanties and Captivations

(This Chapter has been gently edited on the 9/03/20 as there are a few themes etc in this book that were really bothering me. I appreciate you guys in understand that this first book was written back in 2011 when I was 15 — so I may not have been as tactful in understanding certain stuff as I am now!)
______________________

Okay here you go guys!! I've been sick all weekend and Im ahead on my Chapter writing so I decided to update this one a little early, hope you like it!!!

DEDICATION IS TO GreenGirl18 who asked me to read over her Pirate story for her, it was brilliant but unfortunatly she was unable to continue with it so she suggested that I make her main Character one of the Characters in this story which I have done, so keep an eye out for Lacy in this Chapter, and thanks to GreenGirl18 for giving me a ready made Character :D
_____________________

Chapter 14 | Sea Shanties and Captivations

NATHANIEL

It had been four days since Circe had been taken and so far there were no signs of any perusers which meant either that no-one cared about my abrupt departure, or Circe's Father had thought up an excuse to explain my absence.

I tested the wind strength before sighing and leaning back on the side of the boat, my body weary. I should have arrived in the neighboring city of Rayne a day ago. Although the wind strength hadn't been great, I still should have at least been in sight of the City by now. I checked the compass and then looked up at the stars, confirming my bearings. I was definitely on the right track . . .

I shuffled through my supplies and cursed aloud when I saw that I had less than half a gourd of water left and only a days worth of food, three days if I rationed myself, five days if I REALLY rationed myself. For the first time I felt the slight sting of panic bite at my chest as I shook the near empty gourd, somehow hoping that it would refresh itself. What would I do if I ran out of water before I had arrived?

You could always turn back, a small voice whispered but I shook it away. Turning back just wasn't an option.

I searched through my supplies again and pulled out my fishing wire, baiting and casting the line, simply for something to do. I didn't expect to catch anything at night really, but it was better than sitting round twiddling my thumbs. I sighed and fastened the line to a small catch secured onto the main mast and settled back to wait, my eyelids drooping. I yawned and ran a weathered hand through my sea spray crusted hair, suddenly realizing how tired I was. I yawned again, shifting around to get more comfortable, the boat rocking slightly at my movement.

I'll just shut my eyes for a moment, I though drowsily, tilting my head back and letting my eyes slide closed.

___

A bump against the side of the boat woke me.

"Whaa . . .?"

I staggered to my feet rubbing at my eyes, only to fall down again at the boat tipped to one side and suddenly started moving.

"Shit!"

I struggled to stand, bracing myself against the mast. The sun was hovering just out of sight below the horizon, turning the sky a deep bloody red and promising a brilliant sunrise. A look towards the bow of the boat confirmed that yes, it was indeed moving forward, seemingly on its own, and was cutting through the water with surprising speed, small waves cresting off either side of the bow. I took a step forward, my eyes wild and promptly tripped over the taunt fishing line, face planting on the wooden panels.