Chapter Five | Gold

Hi lovely people,

This Chapter has been fully edited as of the 21.03.21. 

I thought you might like to know that, when this Chapter was posted back in 2011 - it had reached 'What's Hot #12' - Wattpad's ranking system at the time. This was solely due to the massive amount of fan interaction on the chapters, so thankyou once again for your support <3

As always, my editing of APK is a work in progress, so sorry to first time readers who may notice a sight difference in writing style. 

Love Always,
Daisy

_______________

Chapter 5 | Gold

*

'The pain will leave,
once it has finished
t e a c h i n g
you.'

- unknown

*

CIRCE

The sound of a single gun shot woke me from slumber and I started upwards with a jolt, staring wildly around the room as I drew the covers towards my chest.

For a moment confusion clouded my mind, making my thoughts slow and dull. Where was I?

Although the bed was soft, and plush - a thin veil drawn around it, obscuring my view of the room beyond, it was certainly not my own bed.

My heart skipped a beat as a thought occurred to me and I reached up quickly, relaxing when my fingers found a slim chain. I tugged it forwards, letting my mother's pendant slip free. For a moment I stared in a daze, at the subtly glowing gemstone, it's soft light strangely soothing.

Suddenly, my thoughts caught up and I gripped the pendant tightly, my jaw clenching in horror as I remembered the occurrences from last night.

My first thoughts were not pleasant ones, and I gingerly checked myself over - fearful of what I might potentially find. However, aside from my rising embarrassment when I realized that I had been stripped down to my undergarments, I seemed to be otherwise unharmed.

The violent bang of a gunshot suddenly permeated the air, ringing into my eardrums and immobilizing my limbs. I sucked in an inward breath, freezing in place with my eyes fixed on the door.

"I thought I told you, no cannons!"

Another gun shot echoed outside and with it came the remainder of my memories. The roar of cannons echoing over the harbor, the look on my Father's face as I was dragged into the darkness, and then the words from two years back.

'I'll steal the rest of you later . . .'

I touched a hand to my lips, eyes still fixed on the the door.

"Impossible," I breathed. But my very presence here spoke of that same possibility. Was I a fool for hoping that he had forgotten? No. There was nothing wrong with praying for your own safety. However, while I wasn't a fool for hoping, I was a fool for believing, he had forgotten. I should have known better.

Outside, the speaker continued to voice his anger, his furious voice travelling closer and closer, until I sensed he was right outside of the door. My eyes landed on the door handle, waiting for it to turn.