XXI

“This is all because of him, isn’t it Zee?”

            It was Louis’s voice, but everything was so dark and I had no idea why I couldn’t move or open my eyes.

            “I know it is. Mr. Payne doesn’t deserve you. He never has. Look at you, pulled apart because he left you here all alone, and now you’re in the hospital, and I have no idea when you are going to wake up. I mean, they say you’ll be okay. But damn it, Zayn, you have to be okay. I can’t lose you again. When we fought this year I mean….we’ve never done that before. Those were the worst weeks of my life and I can’t lose you again. I’ll be here though, as soon as you wake up, and I’m going to hook you up with some guy that’s three times better than Mr. Payne. Someone who deserves you and knows how to keep you safe and not hurt you. I mean…”

            His voice trailed off into tears, and I felt so bad because Louis never cries. But he was crying over me now, and I couldn’t do anything about it. Because apparently I was in some sort of coma? I don’t know. I could hear and think, but I couldn’t move or…God. It was scary.

            “Harry’s in a foster home now, by the way. He was over at my place for Christmas, so that’s good. Also, he’s staying here and continuing to go to our school. Which is great. Things are good for us. Niall and Josh are good too. If only Liam would come back, yeah? We could have triple dates,” He laughed, “I don’t know though. If he came back, would you date him? I bet you would. You were in love with him, Zayn. You still are. It’s just all too much for me to watch. I’m your best friend. What am I supposed to do? The doctor said that the only reason your body is taking this so bad is because you are skin and bone. She said that if you had been a normal healthy teenager, you would already be back at home. So really, it’s my fault. I tried to make you eat. But I could have tried harder. There must have been something I could have done,”

            “You’re like my brother, Zayn,” Louis said, “And now they are feeding you through these tubes. Your parents had no idea that you had lost so much weight. They are worried sick now, and think that maybe you could take a break from studying for college. So that’s good I guess. Maybe you’ll stop reading and writing so much. Oh yeah, that reminds me. I found your book. You know, the little black one you write in all the time. You might hate me for it, but I read a little bit of it. Sorry.”

            “It’s all about Liam, though. A bit about me and the others, but mostly about Liam. Can I call him that? Well, I’m going to since you can’t tell me otherwise. Anyway, it’s so sad to read, Zee. I mean, it’s all questioning love and wondering whether you will ever be good enough. I’m so sorry that you even think that. God, Zayn, you are amazing. Anyone would be lucky to have you.”

            “Okay. Well, I have to go now. I think there is another visitor for you. I don’t know who it is, but I guess they want time with you alone. I love you, Zee. Wake up soon,”

            And then I was left in silence again. It was weird, not being able to see and move, but being able to hear. Maybe it was a good thing. I heard the door close as Louis left, and then I heard the door open again and footsteps come closer and closer to my bed. Suddenly my legs dipped down. Whoever my visitor was sat on the edge of my bed.

            “Hi Zayn,”

            I heard my heart monitor speed up like crazy. That was Liam’s voice. I suddenly wished I could sit up and see him, because damn it, I missed seeing his face. I missed him so much. But all I could do is sit and listen.

            “Wow, you okay there? I mean, your heart monitor….anyway, I was probably seeing something. Uh, your parents don’t know I’m here. I told the nurses I was your uncle. Wow, that was awkward. Why did I do that?” He took a deep and shaky breath.